Did you mean: 

0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
Hello

Anyone able to help with this one?

When I try to backup Exchange 2007sp1 with GRT option enabled I get this:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
If I disable GRT the backup finish succesfully...

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

For Backig Exchange with GRT we require special Permissions/Rights for the Backup exec service account...
1.  The account name must be unique
     The account name must not contain "admin" OR "administrator"
2.  It must be mailbox enabled account
3.  It must be member of the Domain admin group and if the Exchange Server 
     is not a Domain controller it must be Local Admin for the exchange server.
4.  It must be Exchange Full Administrator.

Please follow the Technote:

Regards

Dev T
Global Enterprise Technical Support
Backup exec for Windows Server
Symantec Corp.

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
All this is ok. This account was working perfect on my old E2007 server. We got a new server and all mailboxes was moved to this server and now this access denied error:

The backup runs - the error return just before finishing verify....

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Is this backup going to disk?  If so, can you run the backup to a different physical disk for testing?

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
Okay - now I don't get the access denied error. Yesterday the backup ran fine.
But today I get V-79-57344-65245 - A failure occurred accessing the object list.
The same backup job on the same disk,... Oh how I just love this product ;)

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service update package has been installed. So that wasn't the issue.
It's not DFS or disc space. Nothing indicates that there should be hard drives errors on this 3 months old server.

What's frustrating is that the same job sometimes complete succesfull, and other times fails with different errors. When a scheduled job failes I usually can run a manuel job succesfully backing up same data as the scheduled.

I have send log files to Symantec support but that hasn't resulted in any solution.- I guess I have to disable GRT to be sure that I get some kind of Exhange backup.

I think Symantec will have a hard time advocating for BE the day Microsoft offers granular recovery for DPM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
What's frustrating is that the same job sometimes complete succesfull, and other times fails with different errors. When a scheduled job failes I usually can run a manuel job succesfully backing up same data as the scheduled.

This comment tells me the problem is not Backup Exec.  The problem is something in the environment.  The reason I say this is because the software follows logic to complete each backup and does not change that logic from one backup to the next.  If I can run Backup A at 5 AM and it works, then run it again at 9 AM and it fails, then run it again at 2 PM and it works, this points to a problem in the environment.  All 3 times Backup A was run it followed the same logic each time, but something outside of Backup Exec stopped it from running the job to completion.

Now I can't say right away exactly what in the environment is causing the problem, but if you can provide me with the case number you had while working with Symantec I will take a look into to see if I can find the issue.

JaKo_2
Not applicable

Hello,

I had the same error on Windows 2008 x64, Exchange 2007 SP1 and BE 12 x64.  I tried all the posted configurations and suggestions with no luck.Interestingly, the error occurred only during each full system backup with verification!  Backing up Exchange and System State/Shadow Copy Components with verification or only Exchange works just fine.I ended up splitting the job into: 1. Exchange only w/ GRP - overwrite/verify/don't eject   2. All the rest - append/verify/eject. If you managed to successfully backup all at once, please let me know your setup details. Thanks

Silverpop
Not applicable
We have the same problem. Server 2008 x64, Exchange 03, Backup Exec 12 x64. GRT backup fails with access denied error. With no GRT, the job completes fine. We tried everything. All the permissions are set correctly. I tried running it to an external drive (because apparently there might be an issue if you try to backup to disk and the disk is RAID5) attached to the backup server with no avail. I can't seem to find a fix for this.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) enabled tape backup of Information Store or a restore from a backup to disk folder backup set of Information Store for Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 machine fails with MAPI errors.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/305539

Tape based backup of Information Store database for Exchange 2007 running on a Windows 2008 server with Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) feature enabled fails with "Access Denied" when Information Store is preceded by other resources on the same server in the backup job

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306830