cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d Backup of Exchange on x64 Media server fails

Chaseabbott
Level 3

"doesn't support the option to enable the restore of individual items"

Since upgrading from 10X to 11d and migrating to a x64 bit server I now have this issue when trying to backup the Exchange server.  I found a thread that posted this: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/283427.htm stating that Granular Backup to Disk cannot do granular backups on an x64.  I am not doing "to disk" but am using x64bit everything.  Are we telling me that I have lost some major functionality by migrating to x64bit architecture?  The statement that x64 doesn't support MAPI and such doesn't fly since XP x64 does have full MAPI support.

How do I resolve this without having to build a x86 media server?  I need the ability to restore individual mailboxes and mail "messages" for several of my "special" users.

If there is no way around this I think a glaring BEFORE YOU INSTALL should take place rather than an "oh, by the way" technote telling me after I've already installed.

Cheers,

-Chase Abbott

4 REPLIES 4

Chaseabbott
Level 3
Additionally;

I setup a restore job to see what was available and it does show the granular data down to the message so I am trying to find out if this is really a problem.  A few other threads said I had to use legacy support for Exchange if I was on x65 BE server.

Or is the best method to install a media server somewhere that can take a backup to disk of the Exchange store only?

-Chase

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Chase,

The 64-bit GRT support has been added to Backup Exec Version 11.0.7170.
I would recommend upgrading to this version.

Patty

Chaseabbott
Level 3
Perfect.  I had found a similar thread recommending the 7170 dowload so It's currently in progress.

Does this install over the top of BE 11d 6xxx?  Or do I have to remove and reinstall?

-Chase

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
It will install right over it.
Also, you will need to push the new agent out to the remote servers.

Patty