cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d Exchange Remote Agent Error

Will_FEATHERSTO
Level 3
I am backing up my Exchange 2003 Using BE 11d with Exchange Agent... And at the end of the job I receive the following message/error:

>>
The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items. A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from this backup set"
<<

When attempting to restore down to a low level... i.e. message level... I receive the following message:

>>
The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items. A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from this backup set"
<<

Thank You For Your Help! Please Help!!!
11 REPLIES 11

Garen_Keshishia
Level 4
Did you upgrade the Remote Agent to 11d?

Will_FEATHERSTO
Level 3
Clean install of 11d Remote Agent. Previous version uninstalled before 11d applied.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Is BE installed on an x64 machine? GRT for Exh is only supported on 32 bit systems. If this is not the case, make sure to apply hf 2 to the media server, and re-push the RAWS. There are a lot of GRT issue that were addressed in this hf.

Will_FEATHERSTO
Level 3
Yes BE is installed on a x64 2003 Server. It does have HF2 applied and the Exchange Server has had it's RAWS updated post HF2. The Exchange server is a 32bit 2003 Server.

So Configuration:

BE on 64bit 2003

Client on 32bit 2003

HF2 has been applied to BE and RAWS on Client Updated after HF2.

Still I received the following error:

>>The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

The Backup Exec Remote Agent on the resource does not support the option to enable the restore of individual items. A backup was run, but you will not be able to restore individual items from this backup set
<<

I am new to this forum... What does "GRT" represent?

Thanks a million!

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
On my first exchange server that I upgrade to BE 11 (Hotfix 6), I am getting an access denied error. The server worked just fine using the 10.1 d. Does anyone know why I would get an "access denied" error. I even recreated the backup job. When I do a "test all" for the security it comes back with successful.

Any ideas?

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
GRT is "Granular Restore Technology" This feature allows you to restore mailboxes \ public folders from your Exchange stores without having to do brick level mailbox backups.

This article has explains it as well: http://support.veritas.com/docs/283427

You cant use this feature if BE is installed on an x64 media server because ESE.dll can only run on a 32 bit server. BE uses this dll to generate its restore selections.

You can turn off the feature in Tools | Options | Microsoft Exchange: Deselect "Enable the restore of individual items from an IS backup" You can also enable brick level backups here by selecting "Enable legacy mailbox support" You'll have to do this if you want to have the ability to restore individual mailboxes. After selecting this option, you will be able to select mailboxes for backup under your exch server along with the Exch stores.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Eric,

Do you know what the exact error message is? I've seen problems with GRT getting access denied on users that were disabled. To see if this is the problem, turn the logging up in Tools | Options| Job Log: Summary and dir processed. The next time a backup runs, it will show you all users that it is having trouble with.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I started a call with Symantec but no one has gotten back in touch with me. I will keep the forum posted.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Is there a best practices for exchange backups?

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
From the support site: http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

Here is a Best Practices for Exchange 11d:
Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide: Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285753

Thanks
Regards