cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d System State Restore problem

Femil
Level 3
 In a DR test I have server_a in a workgroup that has backup exec installed on it, I have server_b, also in a workgroup that I need to restore data and system state to. When I go to restore I can select files from server_b.domainname.com but server_a cant write the to it because there is no domain until the DC is restored.

I can redirect the files to server_b but how can I get the system state to restore to its original location if the server doesnt technically exist anymore?

Emil
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 Ok so you goto your DR site and you have the servers in a workgroup (media server and domain controller) with same server name and IP.  AT that point its up to you to make sure that DNS is working. So you may not have DNS you have to edit the host file on both servers to make sure you can ping both ways by FQDN in your case.  At that point when you hit the restore button and pick the remote domain controller by FQDN BE should resolve to remote server IP since you have manually added host file entries. run the restore.  That basic networking there.  You can argue that you Domain Controller is you DNS server..why should I have to edit host file. Microsoft recomments to have several DNS server and Ideally in a DR you would have some offsite

Mark

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marksw
Level 5
 You create a local logon account on server_B
Then goto server_A..assuming your running a restore over the network and create a logon account under Network - logon account. Add the crediential to attach to server_b. Setup the job to use those credential.

Mark

Femil
Level 3
 Thanks, I got that far - its when I'm creating a restore job for the system state, how can I restore it to a machine when the machine name listed in the restore window has a Fully qualified domain name but the machine I want to restore it to isnt on the domain -  that is the backup server can find server_b but cannot find server_b.domainname.com

File redirection seems to work for files but not System State

PS: I am restoring over the network

Emil

Marksw
Level 5
 Well you cant restore system state to another server name. That is not supported by microsoft or symantec. You can use file redirect but that doesnt restore the system state properly.  Im not sure what trying to accomplish

Mark

Femil
Level 3
My work has sent me to a dr site so I have been provided with servers that match my production servers as far as OS, partion sizes service packs etc. There is no domain they are all in a workgroup.

I have installed backup exec on a server, and catalogued my tape. The problem is all the servers listed under the restore tab show as servername.domainname not just servername. If I try to recover files and or system state to the original location with no file redirection it cannot find servername.domain I can only redirect to servername which of course doesnt work for system state.

So what would really like to be able to do is to have the servers that show up under the restore tab show as servername not their FQDN - not sure what else I can do apart from call Symantec and hope they call me back within a couple of weeks.

Emil

Femil
Level 3
 Sorry that was a bit long winded - basically I'm trying to recover both my DCs with no domain in place and find it strange that backup exec refers to all my servers by their FQDN?

Marksw
Level 5
 Ok so you goto your DR site and you have the servers in a workgroup (media server and domain controller) with same server name and IP.  AT that point its up to you to make sure that DNS is working. So you may not have DNS you have to edit the host file on both servers to make sure you can ping both ways by FQDN in your case.  At that point when you hit the restore button and pick the remote domain controller by FQDN BE should resolve to remote server IP since you have manually added host file entries. run the restore.  That basic networking there.  You can argue that you Domain Controller is you DNS server..why should I have to edit host file. Microsoft recomments to have several DNS server and Ideally in a DR you would have some offsite

Mark