cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Restore Individual Mailboxes with Exchange 2007

JasonJJ
Level 2
I have Win2003 Server, Exchange 2007, BEXEC 11D SP4 all on same server.

When I look at the selections when backing up, I only see the mailbox databases, NOT the mailboxes.
When I restore, I do not have the option to restore individual messages.

Am I missing something?
I used to have this before with Exchange 2003 and 11D SP4.

Please help....
6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Exchange 07 SP1 is supported by BE v11d with the latest hotfixes and service packs.
What you are missing is probably in the job setup, is enabling GRT or Granular Recovery Technology.

This was first introduced in 11d as it's "killer feature."  It has further improved and expanded compatibility in newer versions. At this point, you are two MAJOR versions behind in BackupExec, with the third coming later this month with the introduction of BE2010.

JasonJJ
Level 2
Problem is, the GRT boxes do not show up in the options choices for the job.
Was this an option during the installation process?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Was this an option during the installation process?

It's a job option.  Don't rember exactly where, but it is something like

"enable restore of individual items"

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Individuals mail items will not be listed or we wont be able to see them while backups. We need to configure our job for GRT based backups.

1  : Open job properties-->Settings-->Microsoft Exchange-->Check the Check Box "Use Granulat Restore Technology (GRT)...."

Now after the backups are completed, check if you are able to see individual mail messages...

Hope this helps ...

Dev_T
Level 6

About Exchange Restore from Tapes:

Granular restore from tape, while supported, requires a two-stage restore and the Staging area must be a LOCAL Partition.

You can try:

1  : Open Backup Exec
2  : Select ‘Tools’
3  : Select ‘Options’
4  : On the left side under ‘Job Defaults’ select ‘Restore’
5  : On the right side, on the bottom where it says “Path on media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape” – Change the default path to another partition with larger disk space.
6  : Then Click on ‘Microsoft Exchange’ under Job Defaults  on the left
7  : In the right, under ‘Microsoft Exchange 2000 and later’ change the temporary location for log and patch files to your new temp location.
8  : Click OK

Dev_T
Level 6
any news?