cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d doesn't backup up files on our Snap Server 4100, but 10d did

Warren_Hensen
Level 2
10d backed up selections on our Snap Server 4100 (running OS 4.x) just fine albeit with the "Completed with Exceptions" error on account of being unable to initialize the remote agent (because that can't be installed on the Snap and Veritas said to ignore the error per Document ID: 271106 and in fact the files backed up fine although it would always have been preferred to have BE report "Backup Successfull" instead).

11d sees all the selections under Domains, Microsoft Windows Network, then our Workgroup name. All are selectable including all shares on our Snap 4100 and all folder and files within. But run the backup and nothing backs up. BE reports "Completed with Exceptions", but no files are backed up and it completes in 10 seconds. Byte count is zero. We have also tried User-defined Selections (which actually just mirrors the selections in 10d's Remote selections or 11d's Domain selections. The error reported is,
"
Backup- SNAP4100
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine SNAP4100.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
"

NDMP is not an option because it's not available for the Snap Server 4100 and if it were it, Adaptec's GuardianOS would be required and that costs $600 (or at least that's what Adaptec wants for GuardianOS for the 4200).

Veritas Document ID: 237737, "Network Attached Storage (NAS) appliance compatibility with Backup Exec 8.x , 9.x, 10.x and 11.x(NON NDMP)", says,
"
For example: SNAP server comes in to this category (II. NAS Devices Using Operating Systems that 'Emulate' Windows NT and Windows 2000 Operating Systems).
A server uses SAMBA to emulate a Windows volume. For Backup Exec, NAS/ server is just another Windows server on the network, this is because NAS units have the ability to mimic "real" Windows NT/2000, UNIX, or Macintosh servers.
While backing up servers, Backup Exec will think it as another Windows server on the network and thus demand "RAWS/RANT" but no component is required. (In fact cannot be installed).The selections for the server backup need to be created through user-defined selections.
Note: You can always back up a SNAP server with user-defined-selections without requiring a "RAWS/RANT" license but in order to avoid the "Licensing Error" in the job log you need to purchase and register the license on the media server, because for Backup Exec, it is just another Windows server on the network.
"

Veritas Document ID: 264525, "A Remote Agent for Windows Server license is required on a backup server to protect a SNAP server that runs SAMBA on a Linux kernel.", and it says,
"
A Snap server uses SAMBA to emulate a Windows volume. Because of this, Backup Exec (tm) will recognize it as a remote Windows server.
This will require that a valid Remote Agent for Windows Server (RAWS) license to be installed on the media server. The Remote Agent does not need to be (and cannot be) installed on the SNAP server.
While backing up <> servers, Backup Exec will treat it as another Windows server on the network and thus demand "RAWS/RANT" but no component is required (in fact cannot be installed). The selections for the <> server backup need to be created through user-defined selections.
"

It also goes on say the to avoid the "license" error you need to purchase and register the license on the media server. But I've read threads of users who purchased a Windows Remote Agent license and entered it in the BE installation on their media server and still got the same "Completed with Exceptions" error. Maybe 11d REQUIRES that for backing up a Snap Server doing Windows emulation file sharing (SAMBA) and backing up that way (as opposed to NDMP I assume).

Any assistance would be appreciated. We haven't been able to back up files on our Snap Server in over a week.

Thank you.
Warren Hensen
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Warren,

You have mentioned:
We have also tried User-defined Selections (which actually just mirrors the selections in 10d's Remote selections or 11d's Domain selections. The error reported is,
We assume that you mean you recreated the job by that.
If not please try recreating the job for the SNAP Server.

If that does not help, please follow the following Article:
When backing up a Snap server, the job fails with "access denied."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/250083

Thanks
Regards

Warren_Hensen
Level 2
Thanks for the response.
Yes I had unselected everything, then re-selected using User defined shares. Didn't help.
Most of the services were already logging in as the tech article specified. Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems was logging in as Local System Account. I changed that to ]Administrator. Didn't help. Besides, we don't get an Access Denied error. We get "Completed with Exceptions", the exception being "The media server was unable to connect to the remote agent on the Snap Server", but you always get that when backing up a Snap Server. That's normal and the files are supposed to (used to) backup up fine. And they are fully selectable in the backup selection list.
The jobs finish in under 20 seconds. First it says Queued, then it says Backup Scan, then it finishes and shows up below with "Completed with Exceptions" which when backing up a Snap Server means it's done. But it didn't do anything.
10d was working fine.
Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What exceptions does the job log list?

Fred_Li
Not applicable
I just upgraded to 11d and am having a similar problem with my Snap Server 4100. The error message reads:

When I performed a Test Run, I got:Error: e000846b, The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

This made me think it wouldn't work at all. However, when I ran the actual job, I got this message: WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent is installed and running on each remote Windows-based server or workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent is not running while backing up remote Windows-based computers.
...Just like with the older version it actually backup up the files on the Snap Server 4100. My problem is solved.Message was edited by:
Fred Li