cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d is useless and so is the support

Brook_Benson
Not applicable
We're downgrading back to 10d. 20% of our backup exec servers have at least one critical issue with 11d.

11d is apparently incompatible with something in/on/or around one of my users' Exchange 2000 mailboxes. Whichever server this user resides on will have the backup exec job service hard lock during the verify if the backup goes to tape. This happens if the backup is run using legacy support or the new information store style. The backup appears to work fine if it is sent to disk but job duplicate jobs also fail. There is apparently no way for me to back up data for this user to tape in 11d.

We also have a windows 2003 32bit r2 server with a quantum valueloader w/ vs80 drive. This server will totally lock up randomly if backup exec services are started. While we were getting good backups off the server we were very lucky to get the server to stay running for more than 2 days at a time unless backup exec was turned off. Problems persisted through a clean OS install. Server has been 100% stable since 11d was turned off/uninstalled.

Both servers were fully updated/patched for all software.

One other server is also a domain controller on windows 2000. The backup job keeps running for hours past when it is done actually backing up data before it gives a "job was automatically canceled for running past its scheduled time" error. It never verifies at all.

All this on top of the constantly having to recreate jobs because editing has caused to scheduler to skip a sheduled run time errors makes this software by far the worst enterprise software I've run into in years.

All this plus the fact that noone in your entire QA department even tried to install Symantec Antivirus 10.1.5.5000 on windows 20003 32bit (it tries to install the 64 bit client every time - from the CD locally or remote install from AV server)...
14 REPLIES 14

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Someone needs a hug.

On a serious note, you are not Robinson Crusoe. I just want my backups to run without me internening every day. I don't mind so much if they report "failed" because they missed one file or mailbox, I can attend to that if neccessary, they just don't run at all or fall over half way unless I intervene, that is what I object to.

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
A group hug as we all are on the same boat.

It's time to jump off the sinking BE 11d boat and back onto our v9 or v10d boat as they are more stable.

I'm willing to forgo the speed and GRT in BE 11d and go with data integrity as it is more important.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Did you install the Hotfix 2?

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 11.0 (11d) for Windows Servers revision 6235 (32-bit) - Hotfix 2 - Multiple GRT (Granular Restore Technology) issues, DPM issue, & Remote Agent memory leak issue

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285704

Thank You,

Shweta

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Yes

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
Shweta,

Dont take this personally, but do you or your counterparts who post on this forum really even understand this product? Have you installed it? Spent time using it? Reproduced any of the hundreds problems and scenarios mentioned here?

The reason I ask, and dont me get wrong - I am sure others also appreciate a vendors support on a forum, but neither yourself or your counterparts seldom even post solutions that work. Most all replies I see simply direct someone to a knowledge base article or inquire as to whether they have updated with a hotfix. Most all the problems experienced are not yet resolved with the hotfixes provided thus far. And constantly linking to these articles, half of which are not relavant by the way - I should add, does nothing for all these customers that are in this same boat.

I think it would be advisable to actully USE the product you are trying to support to have an actual understanding of the operations and intricisies involved. Dont you?

Kevin_Mattes
Level 3
Shweta's response is a perfect example of reading from a script and NOT trying to troubleshoot a problem at all...

>:(

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Yes Corey I totally agree, how about the tech's tell us something we don't already know. And start reading our posts more carefully as I am pretty sure that Brook stated that _Both servers were fully updated/patched for all software_

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Addressing the issues you mention:

1) It sounds like you have a bad mailbox. Have you tried to open it and browse through it using MFCMAPI? This is Microsofts' tool and if you see any errors trying to open this particular mailbox, hopefully they can help you. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291794 Backup Exec depends on MAPI to do individual mailbox backups and IS backups to tape with GRT enabled. If there are problems with accessing a mailbox via MAPI, Backup Exec will have problems.

2) Have you determined what process is locking up the server with the Quantum loader? If you disconnect the library, does the lockup occur? Have you researched possible SCSI controller or tape library errors or hardware problems?

3) When the job continues to 'run' after all data is backed up, what is the status? Once the job cancels, are all the restore selections present for what was backed up? This is a weird one possibly related to catalog creation or indexing.

4) The scheduled time moving out every time you edit a job is a real defect. A fix is most likely being worked on.

5) Finally, problems with installing the Symantec Antivirus should really be in a different area of the forums.

Russ

Kingsley_Mok
Level 5
With regards to all the other comments above and to Shewata's question, yes, the BE 11d installed, patched with Hot Fix #2 and #6.

The problem persists:

1.) Full Backup on Information Store only and onto tape, not all mailboxes show up in the restore when you drill down. The only work around is to a.) use the legacy option and to select the mailboxes individually or b.) to do B2D with information store then onto Tape. Option b.) is unpractical as most organizations may not have the necessary space or SAN to do B2D on 50 or so servers. The GRT is flawed.

2.) B2D to a SAN is slow as oppose to backup directly to tape.

3.) Full Backup Job Completes, but the Job Log is corrupted:
"One or more errors were encountered converting the job log into a web page for display. The job log will be displayed in text format. System error: -529697949. 1876668: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_VN-BACKUP_00122.xml"

By the way, in prior version, 10d with all the hotfixes and patches installed, the backup was fine and all other servers were as is.

The problems show up AFTER upgrading to Backup Exec 11d.

BTW, I've noticed that the support with Symantec has gone downhill since October 2006. Especially when I had received 2 calls from them in November 2006 for a survey in how their customer service is doing and so on.

It sounds like all the experienced techs at Symantec who are native to English are gone in that particular department. I've made 3 calls to them and all of them have non-native english accent and none of them had a solution for me at all.

BAD PRODUCT + BAD SUPPORT = Don't Buy Their Products = GrapeVine = IT Reviews = Bad Reviews.

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Hip Horay.. My backup is now working properly.... :)

Oh hang on, that is cause i'm now back on 10d, goodbye 11d see you when you are no longer in testing phase..

Stephen_Antoniu
Level 3
same thing happened to me. I decided to give up the test of 11, kept 10 and figured out what was causing my advanced open file to fail (the whole reason I evaluated 11 in the first place).

Looks like this is just a haphazardly patched together version after they bought it from Veritas.

Ed_Cwalinski
Not applicable
I just wanted to say that I agree with you all. Symantec has no support what so ever. Just last week i wanted to get an answer on why the key they sent me via email for backup exec 11d says invalid key. After the first support call on hold about an hour and half I got no where other then them saying i need a vsn or contract number and they would transfer me to someone else or just try via email. Well there is no email support. Only forums and like you said most of the issue go unresolved. It stinks because i opened the box now i am stuck with it. If i knew symantec was going to be this hard to deal with i would've stuck with veritas 10d. It is just a simple question why doesnt there key work when i enter it. Now i paid big bucks for a product which under veritas was great now symantec turned it into crap.So all of last week i am trying to at least talk to someone. Finally on thursday they say its a valid key. I am like well thats not why i am calling. Then after being on hold friday for 4 hours i told them i want to speak to their supervisor. What does he do puts me on hold and transfers me to some securities lady which i could barely understand. Symantec is the worst support I have ever came across in my 10 years of dealing with computers. I also got an email from licensing directing me to a website that has nothing to do with my problem. It is very frustrating. Even there knowledge base is not that good. They have to do something soon or there customer base is going to drop dramatically. Did i mention this is why i dont buy symantec products!! AHHHHHHH

Jereomy_Schulz
Not applicable
I have been working with Sadik Sayed via phone/e-mail for 2 MONTHS and nothing is resolved. This program is one of the worst backup solutions I have ever seen. Right now my backups stop on the System State of one of my DC's and just hangs there. No errors generated, nothing in the Event Logs. It just sits there. The next night the system will stop the backup attempt on it's own and then start the next one and do the exact same thing.

I have tried it with no hotfixes. I have tried it with #1 and #2. All at the recommendation of Sadik. Who is so obviously reading from a script it is laughable. He had no idea what a System State even was, yet he is supposed to be giving me support on this useless product?

I guess I will attempt to install 10 and see if I can get that to work but I do not have much faith in that either.

Thank you Symantec for buying yet another company and turning the product into garbage. NT Backup works better than this.

Jakob_Markussen
Level 4
Must agree.. Backup Exec 11 stinks.. And so does Symantec support.

I was running 10d just fine, but after an Exchange 2007 server was installed, Symantec advised us to install 11. Since then, no succesfull backup has been taken...

I'm considering demanding my money back and go for a different vendor...

WAKE UP SYMANTEC!