cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d license issues...

Danie_Rapp
Not applicable
To bad i dident read this forum before i bought backupexec 11d to one of my customers, then i probably would have bought arcserve instead...

Bought a BACKUP EXEC 11D WIN SVR + CPS CD, that was wath it said on the website, but then i register the product and get a activation key that dosent work.. "invalid key...", i have spent about 3 hours on hold trying to get to someone at symantec that could help me get this #��"! working.. after the first 2 hours i got disconnected.. Happy thoughts... and its now another 50 min, does somebody actually work there ?

It does say on the "serial number certificate" "Backup Exec 11D for Small Business Server Standard with Continuous Protection Server License" and right below the serial number it says "symc backup exec 11d win with continuous protection server ml bus pack"

Is this a SBS version of some kind ?, on the box it sayes backup exec 11d win with continuous protection server so no SBS there.. just on the certificate paper..

Maby i should just sell this on ebay and run the backups with pkzip.. at least that work..

/Daniel
9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Pofahl
Level 2
Yes, there is a difference betwen SBS and standard Server eddition.

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Hi Danie,

First, "ml bus" is probably for MultiLanguage Business Pack. SBS version is something like: SYMC BACKUP EXEC SBS PRM 11D WIN SMALL BUSINESS SERVER PREMIUM WITH CONTINUOUS PROTECTION SERVER, so you got the right version.

For serial number registration, my experience is that you have to wait for next day (24 hrs).

Sincerely yours,
Vladimir

Howard_Brown
Level 4
You should have received at least one Remote Agent for Windows Servers license key with Backup Exec - copy/paste that key into CPS, and NOT the Backup Exec for Windows Servers key!

Again, not the Server key, but the Remote Agent key!

James_Julian
Level 3
Howard- I'm also struggling with the above issues. The certificate I bought only included one serial number, & the Symantec licensing portal only gave me one license key, which BEWS accepted, but CPS will not.

So I understand that you need to license CPS with a RAWS key. Are you saying that that you can extract a Remote Agent license somehow using the original serial number or should I have received an additional serial number?

FYI, I'm using the same bundle entitled: SYMC BACKUP EXEC SBS PRM 11D WIN SMALL BUSINESS SERVER PREMIUM WITH CONTINUOUS PROTECTION SERVER STD LIC EXPRESS

Jay_Jann
Level 3
I spoke to our supplier (one of the largest) and they said that Symantec/Veritas had some big computer problems a few weeks back when they were trying to amalagamate their systems or something.

Anyways, now all suppliers are finding that there are problems with licenses, to the point where Symantec are not meeting their Service Level Agreements in some cases.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/04/symantec_glitch/

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
Join the club of people who wish they'd bought ArcServe instead.

Took 3 weeks for me to get my certificates with the serial numbers, but I still haven't managed to get my activation keys.

The Symantec licensing site won't let me create an account, gives me the error:-
"Your request can not be processed now. Contact Symantec help desk"

My on line support request hasn't been answered after 4 days

I gave up trying to get through to Symantec licensing support on the phone after 2 hours listening to really tacky music

BE 10 was so easy, the activation was printed on the certificate. Perhaps it would have been sensible to have not rushed into rolling out a new licensing system in a hurry, long before it was fit for purpose.

This is the last Symantec product I buy or renew for the rest of my career, which is a pity as I've been using and recommending Backup Exec since Arcada owned it.

James_Julian
Level 3
The most frustraing thing for me is not the delays (as I have about 30 days on the trial license remaining) but rather the problem of not being able to figure out what I'm able to do with the product I bought; and what if any additional software I need to buy without wasting money.

It was said above that a RAWS should come with the BE 11D SBS bundle I bought; but this is the first person who has told me that; everyone else is telling me to just go buy another RAWS.

Bill_Deans
Level 3
This is what scares me on updating to version 11...

Derek_Odiorne
Level 3
I believe CPS is now included with 11d and supports exchange and sql. I also believe that you need to do it to backup-to-disk folders rather than tape. My option is working.