cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d x64, compression not working.

Ross_Geerlings
Level 3
Hello all,

I got a few new x64 servers, installed BE 11d-x64, and am having an odd problem: software compression doesn't work. Not on the local server, not on the test remote x64 server w/ remote agent. Compression is set to "Software" in the job and in default job properties. It typically shows a ratio of 0.4:1 or 0.5:1, but that's not the case: it backs up at what seems to be exactly 1:1 on everything.

This problem occurs on ANY partition or system state I back up. One of these partitions has tons of log files which should compress very efficiently. The problem occurs with encryption on or off.

PS:
I had another problem yesterday which Symantec support helped me with: backups not verifying correctly with encryption on. The problem was with the Dell utility partition (take that out of the backup and encryption works fine). The reason I mention this is because in *those* backups, while the backups also did not compress (same size as they are now), the compression ratio correctly showed as 1:1.
14 REPLIES 14

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Ross

Try this: backup your data once to a temporary Backup to disk folder with software compression enabled. I did this once, and got surprised: although the statistics showed a 1:1 ratio compression, the same as the B2D media's statistics, I did a backup of about 1 GB and the resulting bkf's size was 400 MB. So software compression worked, though the statistics didn't...

Regards

Ross_Geerlings
Level 3
Ah, I suppose I should have mentioned that is a B2D backup...

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
Don't take the statistics into account, just the bkf files' sizes

Ross_Geerlings
Level 3
I am. They are exactly the size of the original data I'm backing up. That's how I know compression is not working.

Manuel_Tresan1
Level 2
I have the same problem. I have tried to find info and I have found nothing. Any ideas?. Is this a common problem?

Bradley_Willads
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Symantec Corporation is aware of this issue. For more information, please refer to this document. This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

Software compression does not work on Windows 2003 x64 or Windows XP x64 bit systems.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287306

Rob_Swift
Level 3
I know that the link indicates that there are no plans to fix this problem with a patch of hotfix, but does anyone from symantec know when this will really be fixed?  Basically this either prevents us from using new hardware that we just purchased, or it will drive us away from using Backup Exec.  The main benefit for Backup Exec for us was that the compression occurred as part of the backup to disk which saved us time compared to a Microsoft based backup followed by compression.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried defining the volume the B2D folder is on as Compressed and then not specifying compression as part of the backup?

The job log will still show 1:1 Compression, but if the data is compressible, you'll get comparable disk usage

I'll admit it's a bandage, but ...

<shrug>

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
You have hardware compression on the drive or none.    I complained during beta process for proper drivers with compression.  

1.) No drivers will be provided
2.) We are working on drivers because so many requested them
3.) Here are beta drivers but no software compression
4.) Here are new drivers, compression still does not work but they won't discuss it
5.) Called Symantec under my support contract complaining that 10D had compression, 11D on 32-bit has compression.   Can I get a discounted pricing for my software and support because the product does not function properly.  
6.) 64-bit BE Exabyte drivers lack full support.   I called my rep at Exabyte and was referred back to Symantec.

I am building a second XP Pro x64 SP2 workstation.   I am looking elsewhere for tape software.

Symantec managements response was "We will provide the same excellent service as Veritas did".   I am still waiting for this. 

Rob_Swift
Level 3
Yes, I could turn compression on at the folder level, but that still leaves me with the time problem.  In my case I am backing up SQL Server daatbases which should compres nicely.  In the 32-bit world only the compressed data is transferred between the SQL Server and the Media server so the job finishes in less than half the time compared to sending uncompressed data between servers and compressing at the destination.  I think we will either try installing the 11d 32-bit remote agent on our 64-bit server or go back to 10d (all 32-bit) which was working.  On the plus side, 11d did fix some bugs we were working around with Windows authentication when using the BEMCMD utility, so I really don't want to lose those fixes.

Rob_Swift
Level 3
According to Symantec employee on this thread: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=9189&jump=true#M9189 this bug should have been fixed with build 7170 which was released on Wednesday 28-March-2007.  I hope to test it shortly.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
7170 fixed compression on HP DAT 40i and Exabyte VXA-2.   Both are over native speed.   Exabyte VXA-3 is still hit or miss.  

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I did a hardware compression 64K,256K,32,0 on VXA-3 with 660 MB/min.  I restarted the workstation and switched to software compression 64K,256K,32,0 and its holding at 720-727 MB/min.

Rob_Swift
Level 3
I can confirm that build 7170 will now use software compression on a 64-bit Windows platform in our environment.  In our case we are performing Backup-to-disk.