cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.5 wont install SQl conflicts

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

I had a server crash on me due to a broken drive in a raid 5 configuration ( 3 drives)  after replacing the drive i encountred corrupt  data and had to do a server 2003 repair install.

Upon attemtping to open prorgams such as backup exec it just hangs and crashes

I am attemtping to install backup exec 12.5 after doing a complete unistall 

I have a clean install of SQl 2005 express installed 

This is the error i get when clicking next after passing the system check

The current version of backup exec is using an instance of SQL that is not compatable with backup exec 12.5
Please upgrade this versionof SQL to a minimum of SQL Server 200 Service pack 3a or later
If the computer is running Windows Server 2008 you must upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2

Anyone  Help?? Please?

Thanks  Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

we ended up having to do a complete registry hack slash meltdown it was NOT FUN . every single instance of backup exec and SQl picked out by hand,, then a reboot then a few runs with CCCleaner and RegCure. A nice 12 hour waste of time.

Although your ideas didnt work, thanks again for your input, I consider this issue closed

Marc

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried letting BE install the SQL Express instance during its installation, rather than using a pre-installed SQL Express instance?

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

yes i completely uninstalled all SQL products rebooted and attempted an install with the same error . I may plan to do an uninstall of 2005 again reboot and use the sql that is inthe installation psckage,,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Let BE install the SQL Express.  Don't pre-install it.

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

I installed SQl express 5

rebooted

installed B E  12.5 same error

Uninstalled SQl 2005

Rebooted

installed sql from the install file in BE12.5 setup folder

installed be12.5  same error ,,

Is there a removal tool for SQL 2005?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Uninstall the SQL Express

2) Install BE.  During the BE installation process, it will install the SQL Express for you.  DO NOT INSTALL SQL EXPRESS BEFORE INSTALLING BE.

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

Went to Add remove programs

I removed Everyting that said SQl

( i have pervasive SQL but cannot remove i need this for my Windward program )

Rebooted

Ran install file 12.5 for BE  Exact same error comes up

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

Any more ideas guys?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would suggest to check the registry for any traces of obsolete Sql keys & thereby remove them. If that doesn't work, attempt a manual un-install of BE & re-attempt the install.

SQL Uninstall - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127893

BE Uninstall - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720

marc_Lippingwel
Level 3
Partner

we ended up having to do a complete registry hack slash meltdown it was NOT FUN . every single instance of backup exec and SQl picked out by hand,, then a reboot then a few runs with CCCleaner and RegCure. A nice 12 hour waste of time.

Although your ideas didnt work, thanks again for your input, I consider this issue closed

Marc