cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 tape drives - 1 needs to stay Windows

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
How can I install the Symantec driver for one but not both of my tape drives? One of them MUST stay the way it is for an existing Windows backup job. The other one won't work with its Windows driver, so I must upgrade it to the Symantec driver to use with BEWS. The Symantec driver I need is for a Quantum DLT-S4 drive, if someone could please point me to a download.

I have to say the new Symantec site's download section is useless. You have to page through everything available just to see that what you want is not there.
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I have to say the new Symantec site's download section is useless
Join the crowd with this opinion

What kind of drive is the other drive, the one that must run the Symantec drivers?

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
The Quantum DLT-S4 is the one I need a Symantec driver for.
I already have a good Windows driver for the other drive, its an old Seagate DDS-4

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Should be no problem. Run TAPEINST and only tell it to load the Symatec driver for the DLT.

If they've broken that too, load both drivers, then from Windows device manger "update" the DDS driver back to the Windows driver you want.

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
They've broken it, the only choices in TAPEINST are to update all drivers or update all devices that don't already have drivers loaded. The Quantum isn't recognized without its Windows driver. So I guess I'll have to figure out where the Seagate DDS4 driver came from and re-update that one back to its Windows driver. I was hoping there was just a single driver from Symantec that I could update the Quantum to. :(
Thanks for your help!

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
There is an easier way, and the Quantum tech support guy put me onto it.

Use the Wizard in Backup Exec to update all the tape drives.
Then go into Device Manager and "Roll Back" the driver for the DDS drive. If you had more than one to roll back, do it now.
Reboot.
Problem solved.

(now how do I give myself solution points ;-D)