cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bits Backup Exec

pvenner
Level 2

Hi,

I'm pretty new in the backup thing.  My company need to migrate from backup exec 10d to the newer version.  The problem is that we have a server that is in 64bits (yes I know the others are pretty old.)  So my question is: Do we need to install Backup exec on a 64bits system to be able to backup our new server? And does the destination must support be 64bits (we are changing from tape to SAN)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Sharepoint 2010, Exchange on 64bit OS, and dedupe will all require your media server to be 64bit.

That said, since Microsoft is pushing for that direction, you should do it as well for being current.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Backup Exec can be on 32 bit server and will backup 64 bit remote server,

unless you have exchange 2010 -Backup exec needs to be on 64 bit machine.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What OS will the new media server be?

v10d only support W2003 as a media server or remote server

v12.5 with patch can backup W2008, but v2010 is required as a media server for W2008 or to backup W2008 R2 either remotely or locally

teiva-boy
Level 6

Sharepoint 2010, Exchange on 64bit OS, and dedupe will all require your media server to be 64bit.

That said, since Microsoft is pushing for that direction, you should do it as well for being current.  

pvenner
Level 2

We do have Exchange 2010  on Windows Server 2008 64bits OS.  So our best shot will be to install Backupexec on this server. 

pvenner
Level 2

Can you explain what you call media server? Is it the machine on witch the BackupExec Software is intalled or device that holds the destination storage?

As you can see I'm pretty new in all of this....

teiva-boy
Level 6

A Media server is the machine in which the CORE BackupExec software is installed on.  The media server is responsible with communicating with the clients or storage devices to move data from one place to another.

pvenner
Level 2

Thank  you everyone