cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.5 Hangs With No error when backing up local drives

Anthony_Collins
Level 2
Running BE 8.5 on Server 2000- When running an overnight backup, the job successfully backs up remote network drives but hangs when attempting to backup drives on the local machine. When attempting to abort job BE reports "Abort pending" until the machine is reset. We've not backed up successfully for over month, have tried replacing the drive,tapes,running different jobs etc but to no avail. I've run out of ideas and am desperate, Can Anyone help?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you created a new job, with a new select list?

This would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel, but have you tried uninstalling (select "program files only" when prompted to save all your local info) booting and re-installing?

Anthony_Collins
Level 2
Hi Ken, Thanks for your post, In answer to your question Yes I have tried to create completely new job with new select list, and a reinstall is not something I want to attempt just yet (Am not even sure that we still have the install disks!).

However tried last night to back a few sub directories of one of the local drives (as opposed to the whole drive) and they backed up fine. So some progress has been made.

Will keep you posted, Thanks for your help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you decide to re-install, v3572rc9 is here http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235770.htm

Anthony_Collins
Level 2
Problem resolved, by choosing to backup the subdirectories instead of the root we are managing to backup all required data. Strange work around and still have no idea why the backups stopped working initially but hey, who cares!

Again, thanks for your help

John_Scott_2
Level 3
I've been wrestling with this problem for 3 weeks now on one of my servers. BE 8.5 on W2k Srvr, job hangs after network drives just as it is about to start doing the local drives. I tried changing the job to select the folders instead of the root, and that wasn't successful.

On my machine, I could get it to back up the D: drive and all the folders of the C: drive except C:\winnt. I was also seeing apparently unrelated symptoms with Symantec Antivirus and with Windows Autoupdate.

Signs are that I have just broken through this problem by clearing corrupted virus definitions from my Symantec Antivirus. I don't know what manner of voodoo connected these issues, but working the seemingly unrelated symptom appears to have fixed the issue with BENT.