cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.6 SBS Autoloader backup failed

Level 2
Veritas 8.6 SBS autoloadre backup failed with the following error msg:

The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Even though try to change new cartridge also encountered the same problem.

Thank in advance.

Cheong
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
> Veritas 8.6 SBS autoloadre backup failed with the
> following error msg:
>
> The media provided to continue the backup already
> contains data
> from one or more sets created during this operation.
> The operation can not be continued
>
> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
>
> Even though try to change new cartridge also
> encountered the same problem.
>
> Thank in advance.
>
> Cheong

This means that the original tape filled up, and BEWS tried to re-load the same tape to continue the backup.

Have you partitioned the loader? That's about the only way that you will get this with a library. If the library is not partitioned, then BEWS should happily load and write to any other scratch tape it can find.

Level 2
Hi, Ken,

Thank for your reply, I had partioned the data cartridge and changed new data cartridge as well. Do you have solutioin ?

Thank

Cheong

Dustin_Baker
Level 2
This is Dustin and I'm getting the same error. I have an HP auto loader that will hold 8 tapes and each tape has 2.4gig of room. I'm loading 3 tapes for about 4.9gig of data and getting the same error. All of the tapes are open to over-write but it's loading a tape that was already written on and then killing the backup process. Why will it not find the other tapes with the space? There are no other tapes in the unit at the time this job is running.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said, this message means that the tape is full.

You'll either have to

1) add a slot to the partition
2) point to the loader as a whole rather than the partition
3) reduce the amount of data the job is backing up.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'm assuming the tapes are rated at 12./2.4? The 2.4 relies on getting 2:1 compression, something that rarely happens in the real world. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

If you are getting about 4.9GB on three tapes, you are achieving about 1.36:1 I generally assume about 1.3:1 until proven otherwise, so you are right in the ball park. Add another tape, and you should get a complete backup

Dustin_Baker
Level 2
Thanks for the help, Ken I will give that a shot I thought I was a little more in the range of 2 then 1.3. I will give this a try.

DB