cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle.

Rogue_Trooper
Not applicable

Sorry for the incoming wall of text, but I want to be thorough.

Here's the situation.

We have 2 BUE servers, running BUE 2012.

Server1 is a physical server running 2008 R2 & backing up daily to a DeDupe folder stored on a local (raided) disk.

Server2 is a virtual server (Hyper-V) running 2008 R2 & backing up weekly & monthly to a Dedupe folder stored on a NAS drive (attached to the virtual server via an iSCSI connection). The host server has 2 x 4 port NICs in it. Server2 has 1 dedicated NIC port assigned to it. This virtual server was created last week.

They are back up the same 7 servers/PCs (6 x Server 2008 R2 - virtual machines & 1 x Win 7 Pro - physcial PC).

Server1 is backing up perfectly well, no issues at all.

Server2 is having problems.

2 file servers are backing up with exceptions.

1 error message is saying client-side deuplication is enabled but could not be used. It is NOT enabled nor has it ever been.

The other error message is Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\FILES\E:". Snapshot technology used: No. The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.

An apps server is backing up its SQL DBs OK, but then is failing when backing the files on the apps server with the error message:

Job ended: 27 June 2014 at 09:30:29 Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000fec2 - A failure occurred accessing the SnapShot handle. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65218

Backup- APPS
- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\APPS\C:". Snapshot technology used: No. The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.

Another server that runs just one app on its own is failing with the exact same error message. As is a desktop PC.

The Exchange Server backups failed with:

Job ended: 28 June 2014 at 04:54:06
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe7a - An error occurred while accessing Microsoft Exchange Server. Check the application event log on the Exchange Server for more details.
Final error category: Other Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65146

Backup- MAIL - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\MAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1413193886". Snapshot technology used: No.

The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.

Backup- \\MAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1413193886WARNING: "\\MAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1413193886\Public Folder Database 1413193886" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

The NAS drive is only using one of the 2 NICs it has (no available extra network points where it is located).

At first glance, it would appear that this is the problem - everything running through one NIC on the NAS. My only doubt is that 2 servers backup OK, despite reporting the SAME error message that is stopping the other servers from backing up. If it was just randonly failing/completing backups regardless, then I'd definately say the NIC on the NAS is the bottleneck. But it appears too 'regular' for that. The same 2 servers backup with exceptions. The SQL backup completes. The same servers fail.

The NAS is also as a target for WSB. They all run sucessfully. In fact, one of the file servers backed up 144Gb of data via BUE, finished with the mentioned exeception AND ran a sucessful WSB.

Other servers will fail even though there is no WSB running at the same time.

Is it something I've done wrong in setting up  the new server? Is it the bottleneck of the NAS or is it something else I'm missing here?

Thanks.

0 REPLIES 0