cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A strange issue involving Duplicate jobs

Frizzle
Not applicable
Hi all,

I have a very strange issue on my hands. I have recently upgraded our entire network infrastructure: new servers, new OS, new software.

I am working with BEWS 9.1 on a Windows Server 2003 environment.

I have set up one Backup-to-Disk job and immediately following this, I have set up a Duplicate job to backup to tape.

Now, the Backup-to-disk job will run and report a byte count of 206,000,000,000 while the Duplicate job to tape reports a byte count of only 130,000,000,000.

If I check the physical size on disk of the Backup-to-disk files, they always total the same or very near to the Byte Count reported by the Duplicate job.

I have seperate Backup-to-disk and Duplicate to tape jobs set up for each day of the week, but the only days of the week that this issue occurs on are Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter Prout
Network Administrator
Northern Neck Insurance Company
4 REPLIES 4

Sagar_Kamat_2
Level 6
Greetings:

It seems that the byte count of duplicate backup is not matching the original backup. we suggest you to run the duplicate backup and target the job to a backup to disk folder and observe the results. For the same, you may run a small backup to backup to disk folder and then duplicate it to another backup to disk folder.

Ross_Smith_2
Level 4
I've seen exactly this myself and have posted on the old forums and spoken to Veritas support to clarify it.

As best we can work out, the differences are due to the compression in use. It appears that BackupExec reports the total bytes written after compression, and obviously a tape backup would be using the build in hardware compression.

In our case, duplicate to tape jobs were around half the size of the equivalent backup to disk jobs.

Ross

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
You may try this by creating a backup job targeting the Backup-to-Disk folder and a duplicate job following it. For both the jobs do not use any type of Compression.

Cheers

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
Refer to the following technote for step by step information on how to duplicate backup sets in Backup Exec v9.1

Technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255866.htm

For more information on this, refer to the page no#307 of Administrator's guide. The Administrator's guide can be downloaded from the following link:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263944.htm