cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADAMM media error on disk to disk to tape

NVTUSER
Level 3
Getting this error every night 'Unable to determine ADAMM media identification.  Catalog query failed.' after disk to disk has completed and trying to start disk to tape . We have recreated the policy the job runs from and are using a different folder to store the disk-to -disk files.SP3 also installed.

Strangely it's only on the nightly differentials , the weekend full backup runs fine (to disk then tape all OK).

The files seem to be overwritten every night , even though there's loads of usable space on the volume and we've tweaked settings and can't see anything else that could be causing this. after a diff backup I can run a restore from the files created on disk , so the backup is running and being catalogued somehow .

any help much appreciated .

10 REPLIES 10

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
I am sure you have already looked at these, but...

Can you give us the complete error you are recieving? Are you getting any errors in the Windows Event log? Have these jobs worked correctly at some point? If so, what has change since the failures began?

JZ

NVTUSER
Level 3
Yes , had looked at those JZ . Seemed to start when library had harware error , but may have been coincidence .Have since firmwared the library (hardware error gone ) , and recreated the policy , but it still does the same .As I said only the diffs during the week , full runs at the weekend perfectly.We've had to move them to different folders though as they were overwriting the disk to disk files , even though there's 1Tb free on the volume .you can run a restore from them though , so it is being catalogued somewhere .Have also tried running the duplicate manually in the morning , someone suggested doing this once gets it back on track but it gave the same error.

full error :

Job ended: 24 May 2007 at 11:18:28
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found.  Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted.
Final error category: Job Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37956

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
How are the append/overwrite periods configured for the media set that is being used for the jobs? Could it be that there are multiple jobs that are running back to back that are overwriting each other?

JZ

NVTUSER
Level 3
It looks to me to be two separate issues .When I created a new folder for the diffs they went to disk OK but couldn't be found for the duplicate to tape.(However I had forgotten to change the source to the new folder , so it may have worked that first time , that would make sense as the  diff worked for one night when we recreated the policy , will try that tonight.)
That would leave the problem as what ? When the disk to disk runs it either doesn't catalog properly (but you can run a restore ) , or it runs once and is overwriting the catalog info the next time it runs ?

PS append period - 1hour , overwrite -none (greyed out) .This is on the folder set up as destination for diff backup disk to disk.

Message Edited by NVTUSER on 05-24-200708:27 AM

Jon_Ziminsky
Level 4
Have you tried setting an overwrite protection period?

Here is a scenario:

JobA starts at 10pm and lasts 2 hours, finishing at Midnight.
JobB starts at 1am(and is writing to the same media that JobA did, which is now not appendable, and has no overwrite protection) JobB would overwrite the data created by JobA.

I may be totally on the wrong track, but worth a try to look at.

JZ

Message Edited by Jon Ziminsky on 05-24-200710:04 AM

NVTUSER
Level 3
It's a single policy .First job does disk to disk (differential ) the second job should then duplicate the differential to tape .It's at this point it claims it can't find the source (I'm assuming the disk to disk that's just completed ?) due to catalog error . You can run a restore off it though , and the weekend full backup is set up the same and works .

NVTUSER
Level 3
UPDATE - created new disk to disk folders and backup ran to them OK.Still gave ADAMM error when trying to duplicate to tape , even though last night's backup is the only data in the new folder.

Paulo
Level 4
I am having more or less exactly the same problem as you. Our scenario is:

Policy job: B2D Mon - Fri

When the B2D job is finished it should then duplicate to tape, but we are getting the same errors about the catalog being missing all the time? Why? I have disabled media based catalogs, created a new catalogs folder, created a new policy, new templates etc.

The B2D job has been cataloged and I can restore from it, but when the policy tries to duplicate to tape it fails every time! I am having to manually run a duplicate job every day?

have you found a solution to this yet?

Can anyone at Symantec help?

Regards
Paul.

squire07
Level 3
Same problem here.....any word on the fix yet?

Paulo
Level 4
I deleted all my Policy based jobs and instead created new scheduled backup jobs and then scheduled duplicate backup set jobs to run to tape after each B2D job completes. This is working a treat for me.

Policy Based jobs do not work well in my opinion if you are wanting to duplicate to tape.

Go To:

File - New Duplicate Backup Sets Job & select Duplicate Backup Sets following a job.
Then select the Named Backup job you just created e.g Monday To Disk.

Good Luck
Paul.