cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFA seriously detrimental to performance.

Neil_Doody
Level 3
Whenever I use the advanced open file agent with a backup, it is seriously detrimental to the speed of my backups.

It is reducing a healthy 1000MB/min speed to below 200MB/min? Is this normal, is there anyway to speed it up?
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

While using AOFO, backup exec takes time to create the OFO Static Volume which can make the backup job take long. However you can also check certain other factors that might cause slow backups. Refer to the following technote for this purpose:

Title: What Backup Exec settings can be modified to reduce the amount of time it takes for a backup to run?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Neil_Doody
Level 3
So should this not actually effect the throughput, just the initial setting up of the backup job?

Neil_Doody
Level 3
I've found that its not actually the open files agentwhich is slowing my backups down.

In tests this seemed the cause as I Was testing with large files (2GB in size) and the initial creation of the static volume adds to the total time of the job thus making the throughput appear lower, like you said.

The problem is the amount of small files that are in my backup job are hindering performance drastically, so a new question is will the "Intelligant Image Option" increase throughput? I am going to get this set up on evalution to see if it does.

Neil_Doody
Level 3
My other point is that the remote servers on our gigabit network are Dell blade servers, which have 2xscsi 15K drives, but they are mirrored in a RAID1 configuration, these are the servers giving the slowest throughput when being backed up using normal remote file backup.

Is a mirrored configuration like this a problem when running open file agents as performance is obviously less than a a stripe of many disks, obviously, if only I had been consulted in the purchase of these servers as file storage devices!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Try executing the same backup job using windows backup utility ntbackup to isolate the cause of this issue.
Also perform the backup job using backup to disk folder.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.