cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO does not back up files in use

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Hi,

We have recently purchased and installed AOFO on our servers. Backups are run from two different servers, each handling its own backup set. My problem is this: Server 1 backs up three other servers perfectly using AOFO. Server 2 backs up six other servers. Four of these servers are backed up 100% successfully, but the other two are always reported as having files use, even though the AOFO agent is successfully installed. I have reinstalled the agents but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What can I check to figure out why only these two servers are generating problems?

Thanks,

Marlon.
23 REPLIES 23

STeve_O
Level 5
in the job log do you see AOFO starting on the two servers? Are there exceptions in the job with AOFO errors?

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
How do I confirm that AOFO is starting? I know that the remote agent is running. yes I do get exceptions on the two servers, I also get these errors:

Backup- SRV001AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV001\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, or wait and run the backup when there is less activity on the volumes.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV001\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, or wait and run the backup when there is less activity on the volumes.
Backup- SRV006AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV006\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV006\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
I must also note that I have read technote "http://support.veritas.com/docs/194940". I have changed the minimum quiet time to 3 seconds, even though I'm hesitant because all the other servers are backup up without any problems. I will monitor the job tonight and post a further update tomorrow.

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Ok, changing the minimum quiet time to 3 seconds has made no difference. I see this in the job log, so I can only assume that AOFO is working:

Agent used : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP)
Image used : No

Below are some of the exceptions I'm getting during the backup:

The item \\SRV001\D:\0c6be6a4-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV001\D:\11a9b24a-32fd-11d5-9a15-0002a52905df.sis in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV001\D:\206200bd-8bc8-11d5-9a1e-0002a52905df.sis in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PPECB\Cookies\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PPECB\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.PPECB\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Program Files\HP Web JetAdmin\logs\access_log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Program Files\HP Web JetAdmin\logs\error_log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\Program Files\HP Web JetAdmin\logs\ssl_request_log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\CPL.CFG in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_6f8.dat in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_900.dat in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\dns\dns.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\urlscan.072506.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\C:\WINNT\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\ex060725.log in use - sThe item \\SRV006\D:\Data Store\Services\mssql\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Data Store\Services\mssql\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d00 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d01 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d02 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d03 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d04 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d06 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d0f in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.d10 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.k00 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.k03 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.k06 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.k09 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\RightFAX\Database\Faxdata.k0b in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\commoncgi\log\iis_redirect.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\commoncgi\log\jasper.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\commoncgi\log\servlet.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\commoncgi\log\tomcat.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\tomcat\stderr.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\ccgi\tomcat\stdout.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\TMI\mrf_chkfile_-10319 in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\TMI\DbgLog\CM_error.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\tmcm\COMMON\TMI\DbgLog\tmi_event.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend\SPROTECT\entity.cfg in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend\SPROTECT\SpntLog\SpntLog.cdx in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend\SPROTECT\SpntLog\SpntLog.dbf in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\DCS\Agent\Entity.cfg in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\DCS\Agent\EN_Status.run in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\DCS\RMClient\Listing.dcs in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\Agent\Entity.cfg in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\Agent\EN_Status.run in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbAcntMang.cdx in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbAcntMang.dbf in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbAcntMang.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCFWLOG.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCFWLOG.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbCfwLog.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCLIENTCFG.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCLIENTCFG.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCLIENTEXTRA.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBCLIENTEXTRA.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbClientExtra.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbClientInfo.cdx in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbClientInfo.dbf in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBIDSLOG.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBIDSLOG.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbIDSLog.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBNSBOXCFG.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBNSBOXCFG.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbNSBoxCfg.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBVIRUSCOUNT.CDX in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\DBVIRUSCOUNT.DBF in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbVirusLog.cdx in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbVirusLog.dbf in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbVirusLog.fpt in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbVirusLogTimeRef.cdx in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\Services\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV\HTTPDB\dbVirusLogTimeRef.dbf in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\CcmExec.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\CertificateMaintenance.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\ClientIDManagerStartup.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\MP_Framework.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\MP_GetAuth.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\MP_Retry.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\PolicyAgent.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\PolicyAgentProvider.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\PolicyEvaluator.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\Scheduler.log in use - skipped.
The item \\SRV006\D:\SMS_CCM\Logs\StatusAgent.log in use - skipped.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please reduce the minimum quiet time to 2 and then run a test backup?

Thanks.

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Hi, I reduced the time as instructed, still no change to the exceptions.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Please enable the single volume snaps with help of the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269591

Do update us on the issue!

Thanks and regards!

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Ok I have enabled the setting, will report back tomorrow.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Marlon,

We will wait for an update from you.

Regards,

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Swati I beleive it wont help.. because i am having the same issue even i have enabled all the option what you people have mentioned.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Swati I beleive it wont help.. because i am having the same issue even i have enabled all the option what you people have mentioned.

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
No none of the settings have helped. Additionally, the server running my Backup Exec has now completey crashed. Don't know if it is related yet, but I'll post once recovery is completed. (It is also my Exchange server, so mail is down until I can recover it.)

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Marlon,

Did the steps suggested above help? Ensure that databases are not backed up on the other 2 servers using AOFO. What all selections are backed up from these servers?

Regards.

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
No none of the steps have helped. Due to my exchange server crashing, I have now been forced to completely redeploy Backup Exec. It is now installed on its own server (SRV009). I ran a test backup of the Exchange server yesterday and it completed 100%, INCLUDING open files. After that I started a test backup of one of the problematic servers (SRV006). The selections for this server include the full C: and D: drives, the system state, and a small SQL database. SRV006 is a DC running Windows 2000 Server SP3. Once again I'm presented with the same AOFO warnings on the .sis files:

The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

5233 files were skipped.
NOTE: The backup job was configured to use
the Advanced Open File Option. However, files
were skipped during backup processing. Please
ensure that the Media Server SRV009 is properly
licensed with the Advanced Open File Option, or
that the job is properly targeted for media servers
that are licensed with the Advanced Open File Option.

Here is a list of a few of the 5233 exceptions:

Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be69d-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be6ad-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be6ae-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be6ce-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be6cf-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0c6be6d0-346e-11d5-9a19-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0ef5a927-5487-11d5-9a1c-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0ef5a928-5487-11d5-9a1c-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0ef5a929-5487-11d5-9a1c-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0ef5a92a-5487-11d5-9a1c-0002a52905df.sis - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SRV006\D:\0ef5a92b-5487-11d5-9a1c-0002a52905df.sis - skipped

STeve_O
Level 5
You last comment you didnt post the AOFO error? Was it min quite time again?

If so the AOFO is not a solution on that server. You have something else on that server that AOFO cannt get 2 seconds of no disk write to a volume.

Have you tried stopping all third party services and changing the time the backup is taking place just to see if you can get it to snap a volume with Min Quite time of 2 ?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Sorry for the delay in posting, I was out of the office for a few days. Yes I am getting the min. quiet time errors, on both servers:

Backup- SRV001AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV001\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV001\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
Backup- SRV006AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV006\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV006\D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).

I will reduce the quiet time setting on my new backup exec server to 2 seconds and then rerun the job just to confirm. Will post my follow-up once the jobs completed.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please Update us on the issue?

-- Is any antivirus running durning the backup? We request you to exclude the Vsp.sys file from the antivirus programm..

Thank You,

Shweta

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
I will post the results of tonight's backup tomorrow morning. Yes there are antivirus applications running on both these servers, I will exclude the vsp.sys file as well.