cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO does not back up files in use

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Hi,

We have recently purchased and installed AOFO on our servers. Backups are run from two different servers, each handling its own backup set. My problem is this: Server 1 backs up three other servers perfectly using AOFO. Server 2 backs up six other servers. Four of these servers are backed up 100% successfully, but the other two are always reported as having files use, even though the AOFO agent is successfully installed. I have reinstalled the agents but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What can I check to figure out why only these two servers are generating problems?

Thanks,

Marlon.
23 REPLIES 23

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Well there is no change to the backup result. I still get AOFO errors.

* Quiet time is set to 2 seconds
* Process logical volumes for backup one at a time is selected
* I have excluded the vsp.sys file from AV scanning on all the servers

I notice that the AOFO used is Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP). Is this correct, and if so, should I simply resign myself to the fact that AOFO will not work?

Scott_Filler
Level 3
I just recently started using the option on or two main file servers. I also got the same errors you are seeing on the C:\ drive of one of the servers. ( I have 7 SAN attached storage volumes clustered between the two file servers) I tried to reduce the quiet time to 2 seconds with no luck. I solved the issue by moving the backup of the C:\ drive and Shadow copy components of both servers to another job that doesn't use the AOFO. So only the job that backs up the storage volumes uses AOFO. I have had no further issues. Unfortuanately, sometimes with BE the best solution is not to use the feature :(

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

To troubleshoot the issue further, split the backup job if job is very large.

Secondly, if you are including any folder(s) that are related to any databases (E.g.: Oracle, SQL) then please exclude the same from the backup job. This will relieve OFO to avoid create much larger static volume.

You may refer the following technote for resolution,

"Volume specified is not snappable. Possible reasons: Not a fixed drive, or contains an active cache file or does not have a valid source or is write protected" (a0008501 HEX or e0008501 HEX) is reported in the backup job log when backing up using the Advanced Open File Option.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/257796.htm

If that does not help also refer this technote,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267656.htm

Thank you,

Shweta

Marlon_Meader
Level 3
Please close this question. I will try to find a way to make it work, thanks for all the suggestions.