cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI Backup of Domain Controllers

xadox
Level 5

After Upgrading to Backup Exec 2014 and upgrading the Backup Server to Win2K12_R2 I am trying to backup our Win2k12_R2 Domain Controllers throught AVVI.

After backup I receive a GRT warning message: V-79-57344-38747

So I still have to use RAWS backup of the domain controllers.

But RAWS backup is more than three times slower than AVVI for me.

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You install RAWS software inside the DC so we can gather Active Directory metadata (a small operation near the start of the backup) the rest of the backup operation is still an AVVI backup with a slightly modified catalog operation (which can be delayed) at the end.

EDIT I just read the technotes linked to that error code. You need to log a support call if the Agent is installed and you are getting this issue - as a) we need to confirm that you debug logs do match and b) if they don't match we need to investigate what might be a new problem.

The statement of run remote agent backups is JUST a workaround to a problem it is not a statement that this is how the product should work.

Also please be aware that Active Directory for DR purposes is protected by the VMware backup with GRT disabled (or by a System State Backup without GRT enabled) the GRT bit gives the extra capability to recover individual AD objects that have been deleted.

xadox
Level 5

Hmm.. maybe it's not clear.

I would prefere AVVI instead of RAWS because of the greater backup performance.

But If I backup the DC with AVVI (select the DC in the vCenter Server) I receive the GRT Error after backup. But the Agent for Windows Server is installed also on the DC.

If I backup the DC over RAWS I receive no warnings at the end.

Edit:

Already opend a case, still waiting on feedback.