cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI missing GRT on 2TB drive

Spana
Level 4

Dear Eveyone,

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3 with agent for AVVI to backup my Vmware ESX serve. One of the VM which is file server, having C: (60GB) and D: (2TB) drive.  After the successful backup for file server VM, I can't see GRT for D: drive but no problem GRT for C drive.  I review the backup job log i see the D drive is backing up.  if I see from image restore I can see both VMDK file.

The D drive located in datastore that form by 4 x 500GB LUN.

What is the posible reason no GRT for the D drive? Only this VM having this issue.

Please help.

Lum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think you will have to wait for at least Backup Exec 2012 if you do have a GPT partition to get support and please note I am not confirming this as guaranteed to be suppored in 2012, I just don't think it will ever be supported in BE 2010 but might make BE 2012.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Is that 2 TB drive using a GPT partion instead of MBR as GPT is not currently supported by GRT (note I have used the word currently deliberately as a future version of BE may add this support)

If it is GPT then you will have to do remote agent backups instead of AVVI ones to get to the individual files although you should be able to restore the complete VM from an AVVI backup for DR purposes

Spana
Level 4

Hi  Collin Weaver,

Thanks for the information.  Do you have link for the article publish in Symantec knowledge base? 

The purpose of using AVVI is to reduce window backup time,if GTP doesn't support GRT then my backup time will execceded.

Lum

Colin_Weaver

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69498

Spana
Level 4

Hi Collin Weaver,

Thank for the information.

I will open a support case in Symantec.  See whether any luck?

Lum

Colin_Weaver

I think you will have to wait for at least Backup Exec 2012 if you do have a GPT partition to get support and please note I am not confirming this as guaranteed to be suppored in 2012, I just don't think it will ever be supported in BE 2010 but might make BE 2012.