Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About delete backups on Policy of Backups

hetfield_86
Level 5

Hello every body:

I have this situation:

I 'm going to save 10 Virtual Machines to my D2D backup system on a policy of 1 Month retention, but I have to save OSs, Filesystem to the same device and same slot used for Virtual Machines 's backups.

I know that I can define a period to overwrite the data but I don know how can I delete the old backups?

For example:

I will make 4 full backups of those backups per Month, when BE 12.5 is going to do the 5th backup, how could It delete the 1st???

Thanks for helping

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I know that I can define a period to overwrite the data but I don know how can I delete the old backups?

Overwriting means deleting the previous backup and writing the new one.

Choose proper Overwrite Protection and Append Period values.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Overwriting means deleting the previous backup and writing the new one.

Choose proper Overwrite Protection and Append Period values.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

...and ensure that media protection is set to use overwritable media before scratch media.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a media set with OPP: 26 days and AP: 1 day.

Create a policy with 4 templates (1 for week), and a selection list.

Choose B2D device as destination.

Associate the Media set with each template.

Schedule the templates to run one per week. First backup job should again run on 5th week, second job on 6th week and so on...

You will get 4 different .bkf files after completing one month.

Fifth backup will overwrite the first weeks .bkf file, sixth backup will overwrite second weeks .bkf file.

Hope this is the kind of setup you want to configure...

Check the following video which shows exactly same...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/be-125-overwrite-protection-and-appending-disk-backup

And remember this is not at all possible with tape.

hetfield_86
Level 5

Thanks both for anwsering.

When you say that is not at all possible with tape, you mean that It cannot overwrite backups on Tape??

Thanks again

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'm not sure what Kiran meant by that, but it is of course possible to set up something similar using Tapes. (There will be some differences of course, since you cannot, for example, overwrite a backupset that is in the middle of a tape volume, but you can overwrite any disk BKF files)

When ADAMM (the Vertias/Symantec philpsophy of media management) was introduced, disk backups were not even supported by BackupExec

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What i meant was, it is not possible to overwrite a particular backup on tape.

If OPP of a media expired, BE will use that for other backups.

Before writing into that tape, BE erases the information on that media fully.(Not the first backup set).

Hope this explains...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

But to setup the same with tape, he require minimum 4 tapes.(Assume each holds a backup set).

Not possible with a single tape. Right?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What i meant was, it is not possible to overwrite a particular backup on tape.

That is of course, correct.  It is not possible to delete or overwrite one backupset from a tape and leave all other data on it untouched

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Ok,

you of course are correct about that