cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied, Exchange 2003 Mailboxes

Bryan_Heusmann
Not applicable
I have been trying to backup individual mailboxes in addition to the information store for my Exchange 2003 Server. I was getting The error "Logon Account failed to access \\SRVR\Microsoft Exchange Mailbox. Access is Denied" when using my Backupexec Service Account, which is an Admistratr of the Exchange Server and Domain Admin. I then found on the support knowledge base to make an account with the same name as the BESA mailbox. I had not created a mailbox for the service account.
I created a mailbox for the service account and I was then able to connect to the mailboxes. After I modified the selection list to include the mailboxes, I cannot access the mailboxes anymore! I get the same error message as before?
What could have happened to allow me to select the mailboxes and now they are again inaccessable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Bryan
3 REPLIES 3

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
Did you hide the mailbox from the Global Address list? It must be visible in the GLA

Bryan_Heusmann_
Not applicable
Actually, right before I noticed that I could not connect to the mailboxes anymore I hid the address from the GAL.

I ended up creating a new service account with a unique name to ensure it did not get conflicts with any other existing service account mailboxes on the server. I reset the BE services to use the new account, and low and behold I could connect to the individual mailboxes again.

I think it was a combination of both being hidden from the GAL and not having a unique mailbox name. Thanks for the assistance.

-bryan

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

As you experienced, there could be several causes for this error. Next time you can ensure t hat the account had all the necessary requirements to backup Exchange mailboxes, namely:

An account that is not hidden in GAL, a unique mailbox, exchange full admin rights etc..Refer to the technote below explaining the causes for this error (which you already know)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273168

Revert in case you need any other help on this issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.