cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied for Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes

Todd_Jenkins
Level 2
Backup Server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (no SP) with BackupExec 9.1 4691
Exchange Server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition (no SP) / Exchange Server 2003 SP1

After several trouble-free months of backups in the current configuration, I now receive the following error when the scheduled backups run:

Job Completion status
Job ended: Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 11:21:45 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Errors
Unable to attach to \\exchserver\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
Unable to attach to \\exchserver\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
Unable to attach to \\exchserver\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Unable to attach to \\exchserver\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.

If I attempt to select individual mailboxes manually for backup, I get the following error:

Logon account "domain\user" failed to access "\\exchserver\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". Access is denied.

I've tried, unsucessfully, the following steps to resolve:
-resetting the password the BE user account
-removing and recreating the BE user account
-Delegate Control in Exchange System Manager: BE user account = Exchange Full Administrator

The Microsoft Exchange Public Folders have the same problem.

The Information Store backs up without any errors.

I've found many articles and tried recommended processes from the Veritas support site without resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Since when does the problem occur? What articles from the Veritas support site have you followed? Ensure that the account you use to connect to Exchange in not hidden in the Gloabl address list, if it is, uncheck the option of hiding it. Refer to the following technote for more information on this:

"Logon Account " " failed to access "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailbox". Access Denied." is returned when attempting to select Microsoft Exchange mailboxes
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273168

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Todd_Jenkins
Level 2
Hi Priya,
Thanks for the response. The backup had been running with BE user account hidden from the GAL without trouble.

I can't find any changes to the server(s) that coincide with the failures.

I've gone through the following support documents (in order):

266177 - "Unable to attach to one of the drives"
(a000848c HEX or e000848c HEX) is
reported when a job fails

269946 - Logon account "System Logon Account"
failed to access "\\Exchange\Microsoft
Exchange Mailboxes." Access is denied.

257256 - How to delete a Backup Exec 9.x and
10.x logon account

274012 - How to create a System Logon Account
in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for
Windows Servers

I'll know if your suggestion of unhiding the user account worked tomorrow afternoon and will let you know what the results are.

Todd

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please keep us updating on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Todd_Jenkins
Level 2
Well, I'm not quite sure what happened. I tried unhiding the BE user account, but it didn't work immediately. I also tried it a few hours later, just in case there was a propagation issue.

I ended up creating a selection list for just the mailboxes, selected the server, selected resource credentials and selected the existing BE user account. That worked for that job.

I did the same process for my daily/weekly/monthly selection list and now it seems to be working again.

I'm not quite sure what really happened to get it working again.

I'm going to hide the BE user account again because I don't like to have service accounts showing in the Global Address List. That confuses users and they sometimes accidentally select the wrong email account.

If it fails, I'll unhide it.

Either way, I'll post the answer I find tomorrow evening.

Todd_Jenkins
Level 2
It looks like hiding the BE user account from the Global Address List now causes the backup to fail on the mailboxes and public folders.

The server had been configured with the BE account hidden since 1/20/05 and didn't have any problems backing up mailboxes or public folders until 9/29/05!!

The server configuration has not changed except some updates from MS Software Update Server. There must be some tie there.

Todd