cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a device was not authorized (error 0xe0009418)

Bart_Wille
Level 3

Since we upgraded from Backup Exec version 9.1 (BE) to BE version 12 last month, we experience problems with the exchange agent. About a week after installation the license key became currupt, resulting in a failed exchange backup with the following error message:

Final error: 0xe0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.
Final error category: Other Errors

We contacted the Symantec helpdesk concerning this. The technician had us remove and re-install the exchange license. This sollution worked fine for another week. After that, the exchange license went corrupt again. This time I compeletely removed BE from the server (including the databases and configurations) and all the agents from the remote servers. I re-installed everything, reconfigured BE and recreated the backup jobs. I also installed all the latest available patches. This worked fine for another week, after which the exchange license key went corrupt again. I re-installed the license, again, and again the exchange backup ran fine for about a week. That was a month ago.  Since then, this scenario has been repeated several times.  After the last time I contacted the helpdesk, the error started to occur after only two days.

Last week a patch was released that would solve this error.  It did, for a week.  Last night the backup failed, again, with the same error.

What we've tried so far:
re-install the exchange license (4 times)
completely re-install BE (including remote agents and all the licenses)
countless reboots
update to the latest patch level.

nothing works. After about a week the license becomes corrupt and we have to re-install it.

All suggestions to get this resolved are welcome.

5 REPLIES 5

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What version of Exchange?

Bart_Wille
Level 3
It's an exchange 2000 on a windows 2000 server machine.

Bugsy
Level 2

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I am having the same problem?

Thanks,

Bart_Wille
Level 3

Do you have, by any chance, two jobs or more  starting at excactly the same time?

This is what I found:

1 job failed with above error

2 put the tape back in the scratch set

3 run the job using "run now"

job would run fine.

hence it's not a license problem, it's not an access problem.

I have changed the schedule so that the Excahnge jbo would start 10 minutes before the other job.

Have been monitoring this for nearly a week and so far the problem has not returned.

Bugsy
Level 2

I don't have two jobs starting at once.  I am actually just testing this on a new system and I have just created a new backup job (the only backup job).  It fails when I try to backup any files on the local hard drive.