cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing User-Defined Selections

Chris_Czech_2
Level 2
Forgive me if I use the wrong terms, but I haven't used BE since v6.

I just installed the evaluation version of 10 and am trying to setup my backup selections. I have 10 servers all in a AD environment, all of which i am using an account called BackupExec.

Out of the 10 clients I am able to connect to 9 of them. The last one won't let me get past the initial addition in the User-Defined Sections.

I have tried several other accounts that I would say have the same privilege as the BackupExec account, but still can't connect to it. UGH!

I have rebooted the server in question. Have stopped and started the services both on the remote server and on the BE server and still nothing.

Any ideas? Uninstall?

Thanks for the help!
Chris
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Any specific reason that you are using User Defined shares rather than just browsing to the share in the Backup Selections Pane?

If you logon to the Media Server as the BackupExec Service Account, can you map the Share in Windows Explorer?

Chris_Czech_2
Level 2
Using the user defined section so it's easier to verify which servers I am backing up. As currently I am backing up machines in multiple domains. And I don't see why I wouldn't?

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried creating user-defined selections with both name and IP address? Please confirm.

Also add the name and the ip adress of the client in the 'hosts' file (under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) of the media server and vice-versa.

Also check whether the port 10000 is open on that particular client, as you have mentioned that this client's contents cannot be opened. Check in 'services' file, same path as 'hosts' and check for entries for 'ndmp' and port '10000'. NDMP should use port 10000. If there is anyother application that is using the port 10000 then make necessary modifications.

Please write to us if the issue persists.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have youspecified a user in the remote domain in the format "remotedomain\user-id" to user when connecting?

Again, if you log onto the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you browse the resources/shares on this problem server?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Chris,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Thanks and regards.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Chris_Czech_2
Level 2
Well it looks as though you all have hit the nail on the head. I am not sure if this is a BackupExec service or not, but I took your suggestion and looked in the "Services" file under \winnt\system32\drivers\etc and saw that port 10000 was being used by "BNEWS" not sure what that is exactly so it may take a little more digging, unless it's the obvious BE client.

Here's the contents...

bnews 10000/tcp
rscs0 10000/udp

Any thoughts?Message was edited by:
Chris Czech

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

In this case please change the port.

(title)How to change the default port used by the Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x Remote Agent for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255174

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Thanks.

Chris_Czech_2
Level 2
Thank you for the support. Problem is solved. As I am not aware of what the BNEWS service is, I've decided to just REM it out. Thus allowing the BE service to start and run properly.

I will keep the KB article on how to change the service in the event I have further issues.

Thanks for your support.
Chris