cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Restore Server 2008 R2 Backup Exec 2010 - Different Server

footyit
Level 2

I am currenlty using Backup Exec 2010 whcih is running a backup of my primary domain controller, C drive, system state and shadow copy components.

I am trying to test my DR capabilities and want to use my Domain Controller backup and restore to a new server, preferably a VM.

I am struggling to see how I can redirect the system state backup to a new server, the only otpion seems to be a file redirection.

Can anyone provide the best approach / process to follow?

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

footyit
Level 2

Thanks but at step 12 I don't have an option to "From these restored backup files". BTW I am trying to restore my primary domain controller, as if DR has just happend and I am at a different physical location with new hardware.

12. Select From these restored backup files, and then enter the temporary location to which you redirected the System State data in step 5.

ad.JPG

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

System state data is computer specific and actually cannot be redirected to another system (Can be redirected as a flat file, though not as a system state entity). Exception to this rule is if the new server is exactly the same in terms of hardware, name, OS etc.

I would prefer using these KBs instead :-

For Windows 2003 - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10837

For Windows 2008 - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH86323

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hope you are in the advanced mode of DCPROMO and have choosen "Add a domain controller to an existing forest" Once you get past the screen that you have posted above you will get a screen about "Select a Domain" then "Select a site" and then "Install from Media" where you can provide the location of installation media to be used to create the domain controller and configure AD

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you upgrade to BE 2012, then you can either do a P2V or a B2V to convert your physical machine to a VM.  You can also use SDR to restore your backups to another physical machine (dissimiliar hardware) or a VM.