Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added second auto loader

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
1st auto loader has 1 drive.
2nd auto loader has 1 drive.
I installed and setup a second SCSI card in my backup server.
In BE I can see both drives. However I get an alert on the 2nd drive - Library Expansion Operation Violation.
I contacted sales to get another license. They said because it is a seperate auto loader I do not need a license. Only need the license if my auto loader has multiple drives. He referred me to technical support because he didn't know if I could run the drives at the same time. I called tech support and they referred me here.

Does anyone know if and how I can run two drives on two auto loaders at the same time?
10 REPLIES 10

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

-- You can have one or many autoloaders on a single Media server. You need to
procure Library expansion option (LEO).
For example,
Autoloader Tape Drives LEO
One........... One.................... Free
One........... Two................... One
One........... Three................ Two
Two........... One.................. One
Two........... Two................... Three
For further purchase information, please get in touch with our local sales
representative. Alternatively, you can contact our local sales office. You
can locate them using following URLs:
http://www.veritas.com/contactus/ContactUsHome.jhtml]

-- To force the backup exec to use both the drives
Set the jobs to use all drives.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
Thanks. I call them again.

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
Let me make sure that I'm being clear about what I'm trying to do.
I currently have 2 jobs - a full and differential.
I purchased a second auto loader so I could:
Split the full backup job into 2 seperate jobs that will run at the same time. Thereby cutting my backup run time in half..
My full runs just over 27 hours.

Getting the LEO will allow me to do this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yep, You can run as many concurrent jobs as you have devices. You can have 4 drives in one library, if the library supports them), or if you have single drive libraryies, multiple libraries with one drive.

Just be sure to have lots of RAM in the media server. BackupExec is a RAM hungry app. I usually figure at lease 128MB per drive over and above anything else the server may require

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
Thanks

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
Okay. I called sales again. Once again they told me the LEO is only for single auto loaders with multiple drives.
The sales person told me it is possible to do what I want to do. But it needs to be configured.
Does anyone know how to configure this?

Thanks.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Ragarding the licenses you are right you need additional LEO license only for multiple drive libraries (One each additional drive). Your autoloaders will be supported without additional licences being required. Hope that is clear now.

The only configuration that needs to be done is: Once the drives are detected by backup exec, You will be able to see them in the device tab in backup exec, check if they are properly detected under autoloaders.

In the backup job properties you may select the particular drive selected or the default all drives pool. The backup job will be directed to the drive if explicitly selected or will be directed to the first available drive if the drive pool is selected.

For concurrent jobs there is no additional configuration required.The all drives pool is created by default in backup exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
I'm going to create a couple test jobs today and see if I can get them to run at the same time. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Randy_Olson_2
Level 3
It works.

Thanks

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello

Thank you for your update we are now moving this thread to the assumed answered pool

Regards