cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrade from 11d to 12, backup jobs hang constantly

sledgeyj
Level 2
I upgraded from Backup Exec 11d to 12.  Ever since, one of my back up jobs hangs everytime.  Different servers, not always the same one, but always while backing up the system state.  I have reinstalled the new clients again, and totally recreated the backup job, yet the problem presists.  Any ideas.  All servers are Windows 2003.
3 REPLIES 3

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Look up the Windows Event Logs on any of the server where the backup got stuck (check the job monitor for the time frame) and see if we have any errors related to VSS.Please provide more information as you have stated that the issue is random and not on any specific server

sledgeyj
Level 2
Nothing in the event logs of the affected servers at all, not even VSS errors.  Job just stops and sits there, and I cannot cancel it either.  Cannot restart the services, I must reboot the server to stop the hung job. 

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
I use to see this occasionally with my 10.1d and 11d when it came to B2D devices.  Sometimes stopping and restarting the services, agents, and even the server(s) themselves would fix it but often times it wouldn't.

In my case, I found that whenever this occurred it was creating a new BKF file (which is the case when it can't overwrite or append to an exsistig BKF file as per the media rules that were applied to it) and for whatever reason it stalled when it started to create the file.

The way I would fix it (at least in my environment):
  1. Go to the device view in the admin console and take note of the BKF file
  2. Cancel the job
  3. Associate the BKF file to the retired media set and then delete it
  4. Navigate to the actual BKF file on the server and delete it (in my case it will be zero in file size)
  5. Inventory the folder and then retry the backup
Again, this has been the fix that I've done with respects to my environment.  I do not have any tapes in my backup, just disks.  I do rotate my media/backup to an offsite location by way of hot-swap drives in an array.

For me, this symptom happens every now and then.  In other words, perhaps once every two or three months if that.  I have no explanation as to why it happens or why I need to do the steps above to correct the condition.  At first I suspected a corrupt or bad hard drive but I ruled this out a long time ago (I can go into detail but trust me that in my case it was not a bad drive Smiley Happy ).

Hope this helped.