cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Push Update Count is Incorrect

scotthaigh
Level 2
Running Backup Exec 12.5 SP3 at multiple customer sites.    Recently several of these customers started having problems pushing out agent updates after months of successfully using agent push to apply these updates.     The agent update wizard indicates that 34 updates are available (basically every update that's present in the agent update folder), when I know the agents are fully patched with the latest updates.    I run through the update wizard anyway, and it fails.   I've tried rebooting both the media server and agent servers with no improvement.
Why would the agent update count suddenly increase to 34 across multiple agents and multiple customer sites?     Seems like a bug in a recent udpate somehow broke this feature.
6 REPLIES 6

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified

But you may use this kind of a workaround
* Go to Help>>About Symantec backup exec for windows server>>Installed updates
* Check the list of updates installed there
* Then go to \Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32(And RAWSx64 as well)\Updates
* Compare the list and delete the *.msp files from here which are not present in help>>Symantec...>>Installed updates, i.e. updates from before SP3
* Now try to push install the Remote agent, it should be successful
* What I believe is happening is the updates before the SP3 are not getting erased from the updates folder at the time of SP3 installation
* Ideally all those updates from before SP3 should be deleted as they all are part of SP3 ie. SP3 is not any new update but the accumulation of all the previous updates

PLEASE MARK THIS AS A SOLUTION OR VOTE IF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ABOVE IS HELPFUL

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You are right this was a bug in the BE 12.5 and well known
You can also check the link about the same

http://support.veritas.com/docs/324157

Symantec tried to resolve the issue in SP3 but unfortunately not able to do so. It is fixed in 2010.

What you can do is copy the raws 32 or raws x64 depending upon on 32 or 64 bit on the remote server, do the local install by running the setupaa.cmd directly on the remote server.
The location is
\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Symantec tried to resolve the issue in SP3 but unfortunately not able to do so. It is fixed in 2010

This is not true.  The problem is fixed in Hotfix 329867 for BE 12.5.

scotthaigh
Level 2
329867 appears to be a post-Sp2, pre-Sp3 hotfix.   I'm already running SP3.        I guess there's no post Sp3 hotfix?     

scotthaigh
Level 2
I tried the recommendation from SymTechie above and deleted all of the pre-sp3  .msp files from the agents\updates directory.      This allows the updates to be pushed and applied successfully, but unfortunately it is not resetting the update count.    So everytime I try to deploy a new patch to the same server, it deploys every patch, including SP3 itself.     

So it works, but it's not optimal.        Be nice to have a post-sp3 patch that would fully resolve this issue.   

SymTechie
Level 4
Employee Certified
Most probably the patch be released pretty soon by Backup Exec team. This patch may be a part of SP4 which might release shortly.

PLEASE MARK THIS AS A SOLUTION OR VOTE IF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ABOVE IS HELPFUL