cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent Upgrade from 9.1 to 10

Jamie_Voto
Level 2
Hello,

We are considering upgrading our BE 9.1 for windows server to version 10d. We own and have obtained the software and licence keys for all our software and options.

My questions is, when I do an in place upgrade of the backup server software, can I still back up remote servers with 9.1 agents until I upgrade those agents? And if so, how long with the 9.1 agent work for.

Ideally we would like to upgrade the backup server this week and slowly migrate the new 10 agents out to remote servers slowly until all are complete. Will the servers with 9.1 agents continue to backup normally to the 10 server?

I have already obtained the admin guide and read the forum but have seen conflicting answers. thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

steve_burkett
Level 4
From the release notes: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278254.htm

"The Backup Exec 10d (10.1) Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers is strongly recommended for use with Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers; the Backup Exec 10.0 Remote Agent is also compatible for the purpose of rolling upgrades with the exception of any caveats listed in the notes. The Backup Exec 9.x Remote Agent for Windows is not supported and not recommended for use with Backup Exec 10d for Windows Media Servers."

So, while it's not saying 9.1 remote agents definitely won't work, you may well run in to a few glitches if you do try running 9.1 Remote Agents with a 10d Media server.

Jamie_Voto
Level 2
I've seen responses both ways so i was looking for anyone that might have done this type of update.

Also, that article seems to suggest that the 10 agent is compatible with 9.1 maybe? So maybe the recommended way would be to upgrade all the agents to 10 and then once that is complete to upgrade the server?

Has anyone consistently backed up with 9.1 agents to a 10 server?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264484.htm

The Backup Exec 10.0 Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers is strongly recommended for use with Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers; the Backup Exec 9.1 Remote Agent is also compatible for the purpose of rolling upgrades with the exception of any caveats listed in the notes. The Backup Exec 8.x Remote Agent for Windows is not supported and not recommended for use with Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Media Servers.

So veritas explicitly states that v9.1 RAWS is compatible with v10.0 server