Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agents not getting detected

zak2011
Level 6

I have been encountering this issue

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

The errors state the following:

Backup- TERMxxxx
Remote Agent not detected on TERMxxxx.
Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\C:.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to...

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...

Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\System?State.

V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to...

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...

Backup- TERMxxxx
Remote Agent not detected on TERMxxxx.

Unable to attach to \\TERMxxxx\C:.

I have tried uninstalling the agents from all the above machines and reinstalling them. However the backup job fails. This is a backup job that is running.'

Any suggestions are welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

From the media server open a command prompt and type in TELNET servername 10000

If you don't have telnet installed, you may need to install it before running the command

If the command is successful you will see a group of ASCII characters shows up, this means the media server can communicate with the server you are attempting to backup.

You will need to run the command from both the media server and the remote guest.

If that command is successful and you are not able to backup the machine or see it in favorites, most times there is a firewall blocking additional ports that are needed for backup and advertisements.

Here is the document that shows the ports needed.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49563

The main ports are 6101 and 10000

Can you take a screenshot of how the server currently shows up in the selection list (with it expanded) and send it to me in a private message?

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Make sure port 10000 is being used by beremote.exe

2) Check if the media server name is listed in the publishing tab of the remote agent utility

3) Disable firewall

4) Make sure remote agent service is configured with local service account.

5) Make sure remote agent service is up and running.

zak2011
Level 6

Still its not running

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you checked to see if an antivirus isn't perhaps blocking the BE services from running?

zak2011
Level 6

I have checked that,its not blocking.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

If its BE 2010R3..make sure not facing same issue as below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/agents-not-publishing-themselves-media-server

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

It seems that the remote agent service is crashing on the server TERMxxxx. Check in the Windows event viewer. Check for any event logged as application error with event id 1000. (Windows logs - Application)

It will show as beremote.exe crashed with a particular faulting module.

Also make sure that the Backup exec version and the remote agent version are the same.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you able to backup through user-defined selections ?

Also, double-check the selection list details to remove any unwanted resource

zak2011
Level 6

I am not able to backup the specified job through user-defined selections.

All unwanted resources have been removed from the selection list details.

CraigV

OK, try the following:

1. If you're not on 2010 R3, upgrade to that using your current keys. You can then patch with SP1 and any subsequent patches before push-installing them to any remote servers.

2. If you are running 2010 R3, run LiveUpdate and patch with the latest patches available. Push-install to any remote servers you have.

3. Open up BEutility and run a BEDB database repair. This is non-intrusive.

4. Run a repair of the BE installation itself through Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Craig,

1. I am using BE 2010 R3 with SP1.

2. I have run LiveUpdate and patched the remote servers with the latest updates. ( It says the remote servers are up to date ).

3. Havent tried a repair of BE installation yet. The BE 2010 R3 was upgraded just two weeks ago and other jobs are working.

CraigV

...1 thing that hasn't been mentioned or ruled out is a possible DNS issue between the media server and the affected servers.

Have you tried nslookup's between the affected server/s and the media server? Can you resolve name-IP/IP-name? What happens if you use an IP address in a custom selection list instead of the server's name?

zak2011
Level 6

DNS resolution is working. I havent tried IP in the selection list yet. Will try that and update.

zak2011
Level 6

With reference to the above problem, if i go by Striker 303's resolution, would i have to establish trust for all the servers in my domain.Would that mess up the selection lists for all the servers.

Could you confirm this.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

WIth BE 2010R3 ..trust is must.

BE media server generates and provide certificates to remote server with remote agent

so no one could hack in between, this should create any issues.

zak2011
Level 6

is there a way for me to do this only for the servers that i am experiencing the problem with?

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

How to enable trust:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159562

also this old forum discuss :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssl-handshakes-fails#comment-6488311

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks Striker for the docs. The strange thing is i am not getting the error ' the remote agent cannot be trusted'. The backups simply doesnt work saying that

Job ended: 6. februar 2012 at 08:39:04
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup- TERMXXX
Remote Agent not detected on TERMXXXX.
Unable to attach to \\TERMXXXX\C:.

CraigV

...are you sure the RAWS agent isn't perhaps publishing to different media servers?

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Does this server (TERMXXX) shows up under , under favourite resources -windows system in

BE selection list?

You also debug to confirm if its the same issue