cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Exchange job rate

nLinked
Level 3

We are trying to backup Exchange Server 2007 mailboxes/databases with Backup Exec 2010. Normally this would work nice and fast with a job rate of 2250 MB/min.

All of a sudden, any time we try a backup now, it runs at a crawling 65 MB/min. We haven't changed anything.

• All our other backups run quickly including another similar Exchange server.
  • We have tried restarting both the Backup Exec server and Exchange, neither help.
  • Both have enough RAM/HDD/CPU resources available.
  • There are no errors in the Windows event logs
  • VSS service runs fine
  • Tape cleaning performed

I can't think of what may be the cause. All other backups running fine, what could have changed all of a sudden to cause this slow job rate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Ideally, it is recommeneded to open port 10000 and any 25 dynamic port via firewall

for backups and restore to work..you need to mention same in Media server as well

Refer this: How to configure Backup Exec For Windows Servers (BEWS) with Firewalls.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43579

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Is it slow only while backing up information store, or anything like ..C, d drive

Try copying aaprx 1 GB files from Exch server to media server and see how long does that take.

If its a network issue file copy would be slow as well

Copy 1 GB file from server where backup is running good ti media server as well to compare..

nLinked
Level 3

You are absolutley right, such a simple effective test! There is a major slow down when sending anything to the exchange server. It's a Window/Network/LAN card issue. Now we can investigate that. Thank you so much!

nLinked
Level 3

Well I gave the Windows Firewall service a restart and the transfer speed went straight up and backup rate is now normal. We need to keep the Windows Firewall on Server 2008 on. Can you please point me as to which exe or port I need to keep open for the remote agent software to prevent this in future? Thanks.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Ideally, it is recommeneded to open port 10000 and any 25 dynamic port via firewall

for backups and restore to work..you need to mention same in Media server as well

Refer this: How to configure Backup Exec For Windows Servers (BEWS) with Firewalls.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43579