cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agents v11 and v12

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
I have not had an opportunity to download v12 of BEWS so please excuse me if this question has already been answered or is in the included documentation with the v12 downloads.

My BE is very simple - I have a single media server running v11d on a Windows 2003 (STD) server.  I have no tapes in my infrastucture, it is all Disk-toDisk (my offsite data backups are hot swapable hard drives) and there are 12 Windows 2003 servers and two Windows 2000 servers.  In the 12 Windows 2003 servers includes an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server.  The other 2003 servers are a mix of web servers (IIS and Apache), SQL and your basic file and print server.

Note: The W2K servers will be upgraded to 2003 in the coming months - I had to be careful as one of the W2K server is the Primary Domain Controller/Active Directory, the other W2K server was a BDC but I've recently removed it from that role so now it's just a file server which will be retired before the end of the year.

Back when I was running BE v10.1d I was unable to back these machines up with a BE v11d server.  So in order to test v11d, I had to set it up on another server and then select a couple of non-critical servers and upgrade their agents to v11d.

So I was running two backup system.

Once I was confident that v11d was "OK" I scheduled the time to upgrade the server which didn't go very well - the jobs did not work and so I found it easier to delete all the jobs and recreate them from scratch.  Not a big deal and it was probably for the better because there were some tweaks I wanted to make anyway.  This included having to push the agents out to all the servers.

That all said, will v11d agents work in v12?  The only special agents I have is the Exchange 2003 and SQL agent.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Robert Kuhn wrote:
"That all said, will v11d agents work in v12?  The only special agents I have is the Exchange 2003 and SQL agent."

They should work, though it is not recommended by Symantec. It's supposed to be something you do only until you're happy that BE12 is working, then you can upgrade the remote agents to take advantage of the new features.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Robert,

We have no known issues with the agents including the Exchange or the SQL agent so far.The only limitation relevant to Exchange is that the GRT backups are not supported for Exchange on a Windows 2008 server.

Regards.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
So what you're saying is that if I upgrade my media server to v12, servers with the v11d agents will still work?

I'm in the process of downloading v12 right now so I'll take a look in the documentation.

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
So I completed the download of BEWS v12.  The only documentation I can located is the Quick Installation Guide.  Where can I locate the Admin Guide?

RahulM
Level 6
I did not mean that the agents from the previous versions will work with the new release of BEWS 12.
What I meant was that we have not found any issues with the new agents so far.Once you upgrade the media server or Backup Exec you will need to upgrade the agents too.

For the administrator's guide please refer to the following links.

Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

Symantec (TM) Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers Command Line Applet Guide

Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers Addendum for the Administrator's Guide and Command Line Applet Guide

Robert_Kuhn
Level 4
Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the reply.  But in the future could you please read the question? 

"That all said, will v11d agents work in v12?  The only special agents I have is the Exchange 2003 and SQL agent."

I thought that was pretty straight forward.  Smiley Wink

Thanks for the links to the documentation.

RahulM
Level 6
Anytime Robert Smiley Happy

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Robert Kuhn wrote:

They should work, though it is not recommended by Symantec. It's supposed to be something you do only until you're happy that BE12 is working, then you can upgrade the remote agents to take advantage of the new features.