cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All jobs on one tape

Master_of_Disas
Level 2

Hi Community,

I want to save all jobs to one tape (Backup exec 12.5).
First job (full backup of a server) overwrites medium, the other jobs (some full, most incremental) are set to append or overwrite.
There is enough space for all jobs on one tape.
In my case the first jobs loads a tape from the loader and overwrites it (correct), but the next job loads another tape and appends and the following jobs append to this second tape.
The mediaset is configured for overwriteprotection of 3 days and append is set to unlimited.

Please help.

Thanks.
Master of Disaster

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you starting the jobs at the same time as each other and does your library have more than one tape drive, as what you descibe does sound like the second job starts while the first is already running and because you have a second drive it then uses a different tape and runs in parallel.

For 12.5 to achieve what you want it is recommended to put all of the servers in one job (as it happens BE 2012 is the only version that won't let you do that and for 2012 we recommend you upgrade ot the leats version to get the functionality back)

if you can't put them in one job, then make sure the start times are spread out so that each job has finished before the next tries to start.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the TN below and make sure your Append settings are correct...

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH5459.html

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you starting the jobs at the same time as each other and does your library have more than one tape drive, as what you descibe does sound like the second job starts while the first is already running and because you have a second drive it then uses a different tape and runs in parallel.

For 12.5 to achieve what you want it is recommended to put all of the servers in one job (as it happens BE 2012 is the only version that won't let you do that and for 2012 we recommend you upgrade ot the leats version to get the functionality back)

if you can't put them in one job, then make sure the start times are spread out so that each job has finished before the next tries to start.

LegAEI
Level 5

Make sure your jobs aren't spitting the tape out at the end.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your problem is due to to the infinite append period. This means that any partially filed tapes can be appended to. I think BE well use the one which is most recently used. To solve your problem you should set your AP to one day if all your jobs are daily jobs. This way there will always be only one appendable tape, I.e. the one that is just overwritten by the first job in the series.

Master_of_Disas
Level 2

Hi,

thanks for all your replies!
I put all the jobs into one job; that works.
Not my favorite solution, but its okay.
I will update BE to an actual version sooner or later.

Thanks to all