cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All jobs "BE job engine system service is not responding" after 2012 SP4/hotfix

Lavee383
Level 4

I just recently installed SP4 and the hotfix that was listed after the upgrade (215906). 

Now every job fails even on the SBE server itself.  I've updated the Agent on all servers and rebooted all just to be safe.  Still nothing.  Jobs either fail outright or get missed and placed on hold.  As soon as I release the job, they either fail or go into the eternal spin "queued" until it places itself on hold.

Also, now when I try to view the errors from the Backup and Restore tab by clicking on the specific server's error, it errors out with:  "The server was unable to complete the requested operation.  Unknown reason: 2  BEMSDK Failure Code: 2:X8  Error: 2: The job log for this job may not be generated."  The only way I can view the log error is to go into the specific server and click on Active Alerts, then I can review the error messages.

SBE server:  2008R2 Standard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Programs and Features and do a repair of BE.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Lavee,

Have you tried to repair the BEDB through BEutility.exe?

Thanks!

Lavee383
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Craig...but can you explain to me what it is that I'm to do?  I've never had to use the utility...

lmosla
Level 6

Hi Lavee383,

If after the repair of the BEDB there are still issues, consider logging a support case and/or upgrading to Backup Exec 2014.

Backup Exec 2014 is Now Available! 

CraigV

Not a problem...do a search for BEutility.exe and follow the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67239

Thanks!

Lavee383
Level 4

I ran the repair according to your link and still nothing.  The jobs sit "Status: Queued"

Lavee383
Level 4

I may have spoke too soon...it looks like I was able to get one of the jobs to start working...it just sat as "queued" for longer than I'm normally used to seeing it.  Will update later after I get a couple more jobs kicked off and running.

The job for the SBE server is "running" with 0.0 on both Bytes and Rate...

***scratch that...as soon as I hit reply on this message the SBE's job finally started...that was about 22min sitting in queue...?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Programs and Features and do a repair of BE.

Lavee383
Level 4

I was able to get one job to succeed but all after that are still failing.  I keep getting "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."

Lavee383
Level 4

I was able to get one job to succeed last night after I manually kicked it off.  But then the same exact server/job was ran again on it's own (per schedule) and it failed with the following:  "The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."  All other jobs are failing as well.

Lavee383
Level 4

One side question since SBE2014 was mentioned...I thought SP4 was supposed to give Server2012R2 capability...yet when I try to edit the jobs of my two servers that I just rebuilt to 2012R2, it shows the server on one but when I try to delve into the C:\ drive it states it can't set up a network connection.  Where my other just won't show anything.  On my 2012 server, everything still shows up and I can drill down to specific folders/files on the job.

I'm assuming that I need to upgrade to SBE2014 correct?  Also, if the job fails that are happening aren't fixed prior to upgrading to SBE2014, will they still be present in 2014?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no Server 2012 R2 support prior to BE 2014. You would need to upgrade. The upgrade process should not delete any jobs

Lavee383
Level 4

I understand, yet all my servers were working w/out issue prior to the SP4 and hotfix being applied.  Now nothing works.

Lavee383
Level 4

My question is this...when I upgrade to 2014, will it fix whatever is wrong now?  As stated earlier, prior to the latest SP4/hotfix, everything was working fine (even on my 2012R2 servers).  Now nothing works and some services do not start automatically.

Lavee383
Level 4

I tried running the repair, but I get the fatal error 1706 no valid source could be found.  I do not remember where I had the source installs at when I initially installed this (2 yrs ago)...I'll see if I can find the ISO and mount it to see if it will take.  Is there a way to find out where SBE thinks the source files are supposed to be located?

*edit*...mounted the SP4 ISO and the repair succeeded.  rebooting now.  will see if things were truely repaired. 

Lavee383
Level 4

It appears that the repair using the SP4 ISO worked.  Jobs are working again except for the 2012R2 jobs that USED to work prior to the SP4/hotfix update.  Not happy about that.  I'm in the process of upgrading my Quantum servers in preparation for upgrading to SBE2014.

Lavee383
Level 4

Wonderful...now the SQL upgrade keeps failing on the 2014 upgrade.  SBE technician is still trying to figure out why it keeps failing even tho we've followed the KB removing the SIDs from registry...

CraigV

Any AV installed on that media server? If so, stop and disable it during the upgrade process...McAfee used to block the SQL upgrade when moving between versions in my case.

Thanks!

Lavee383
Level 4

No...I don't have SEP or any other AV installed on the SBE server.

Lavee383
Level 4

Warnings:

Error 87: Unable to get SQL version info for SQL instance

Use Windows Update to verify that you have the latest versions of Microsoft.NET Framework and Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) and install them if they are available.

{0} features a new user experience and a new backup paradigm. Symantec strongly recommends that you read the Migration Report shown on the Migration Progress dialog to see how your existing jobs have been affected and visit the technical support knowledge base at http://support.veritas.com/UMI/V-225-284 for details.

Errors:

V-225-53: ERROR: Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC instance with error -2067922409. ***

and I've already removed the two subkeys that it suggested I delete and it still fails with this same error

I've also verified that SQL 2005 SP4 is installed