cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media

Aluke
Level 3
Daily getting the following:
An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

I have tried using a cleaning cart on the tape library, brand new tapes, new SCSI card.
The tape library is a new Exabyte Magnum 224 with a new Adaptec 29320 Ultra320 card, using the supplied cable from Exabyte.  The servers being backed up has been disk checked, defragged.  Can't figure out why I'm still getting this with one server pretty much all the time in the verification phase.

Appears to backup to disk okay, so was suspecting the tape library.  Got a replacement from the manufacturer, and still the same problem.  Then replaced the SCSI card and cable.  Same problem. 

Not sure what to try next.

5 REPLIES 5

Fly_Guy
Level 3
Not sure if this will help, but I was getting all kinds of weirdness on our LTO-3 autoloader, and it turns out that the Adaptec card was pushing data at the drive too fast.  Apparently the adapters are set up for hard drives by default, so the transfer speed is basically set to full (320 MB/s).  Once I knocked the transfer down to 80 everything was fine.

Joel

Aluke
Level 3
Thanks Flyguy
But why run it at 80mb/s when it is supposed to run at 320mb/s?
The tape-drive in the library is supposed to be an Ultra320 drive, if you are running it at only 80mb/s you would be losing all of the speed advatanges wouldn't you? 

Fly_Guy
Level 3
I'm not familiar with the unit that you're using, but even though the tape drives support running on a U320 bus, they don't support that kind of speed.  Tape tends to be slower than disk.  I don't know what kind of tape drive you actually have in there, but here's a comparison of some of the common ones:
  • LTO 3: Capacity per Cartridge is 400GB; Throughput is 80MB/sec

• SDLT 600: Capacity per Cartridge is 300GB; Throughput is 36MB/sec

• SDLT 320: Capacity per Cartridge is 160GB; Throughput is 16MB/sec

• LTO 2 SCSI: Capacity per Cartridge is 200GB; Throughput is 30MB/sec

• LTO 2 FC: Capacity per Cartridge is 200GB; Throughput is 35MB/sec

• LTO 1: Capacity per Cartridge is 100GB; Throughput is 15MB/sec

Joel

Aluke
Level 3
Well I went and dropped it to 80mb/s but it is still coming up with the same errors.
Any other thought or ideas?

Anyone from Symantec support reading this?

Aluke
Level 3
I contacted the tape library support and they said that the Adaptec card should be configured to the default 320 M/s but that the HostRAID should be turned off.  They also verified that the correct drivers and settings for the library and SCSI card were set.  They conclude that it is a backup software problem. 

I tried backups again last night and still get:

"An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in HP       Ultrium 3-SCSI.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent."

Can anyone provide some assistance?