cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea why those files took so long?

joeyoung
Level 3
This backkup job is to backup individual files on the same server. They are on the J: Drive and H: Drive. On both of these two dirves, there are about the same number of directories and  same number of files. The J: drive have about 800G files and H: drive has about 6 G files. You can see each file on the J: drive is much bigger than the file on H:  drive.

It took 4 hours to backup the J: drive's 800G files. And it took 4 hours to bakcup the H: dirve's 6 G files too.

My qeustion is why it took so long to backup the 6G files on the H: drive?

thanks a lot

Joe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
How many files on each drive?
If there were millions of files on your H:\ drive, the drive doesn't get to a point where it is writing at a constant speed. That is why file backups tend to be slower than backing up something like Exchange.
I have included a link to a Symantec tech article that can explain it in more detail...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
How many files on each drive?
If there were millions of files on your H:\ drive, the drive doesn't get to a point where it is writing at a constant speed. That is why file backups tend to be slower than backing up something like Exchange.
I have included a link to a Symantec tech article that can explain it in more detail...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A large number of small files will always backup slower than fewer larger files totallng the same byte count due to the overhead to open and close each file

joeyoung
Level 3
Thanks a lot, Craig and Ken. You are righ. There are 13,837,350 small files in 15630 directories.  Any tricks to speed up for those small files?

CraigV
You could probably look into backing up to disk first, and then streaming off to tape. This will backup to *.bkf files of a size you set. THese would be big enough to stream off to tape at a constant stream.