cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append a second backup job

RobWal
Level 2

I have rotating external USB hard drives with backup-to-disk folders created to back up SBS 2008 and the Exchange database.  I have the right agents installed but oftenen there is an error extracting the mailboxes when GRT is enabled.

If I run the Exchange backup on its own it works every time.  How can I modify my backup-to-disk folders that are set to over write and not alow appends to accept the backup from a second backup job for my Exchange store?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Well you need to change the properties of the media set which is associated with the 1st backup job.

The media set should have an overwrite protection period and appendable period >0

If you want the 2nd job to append then in the backup job properities under device and media tab

select "append, if no appenadable then overwrite"

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can follow the article below which details how to do it...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK don't confuse getting all the backup sets in one tape (an append) with getting all the backup sets on the same B2D (which is only an append if you want to use the same BKF file) Trying to split the job selections but use the same B2D device is not an append operation

Some points:

1) Symantec recommends starting all jobs that store on disk based targets as Overwrites (unless you allocate the maximim bkf file size on creation)

2) To make a job for your Exchange selection use the same B2D device as that for file system data - just specify the same device name in the backup job properties for both jobs

3) If you want both jobs to run at the same time then increase the Concurrent Operation Count on the B2D device

4) USB disks must have standard backup to disk folders configured on them - DO NOT USE the Removable Backup to Disk folder type as this is for cartridge based media where the device itself remains connected to the server (Such as RDX etc)

5) If you intened to unplug the USB device then make sure you are running Backup Exec 2010 R2 later - earlier versions of Backup Exec did not handle unplugging USB disks.

6) GRT backup sets (i.e. for Exchange)  don't append anyway because they must have a unique IMG folder for each set - however becasue of a possible issue reclaiming space when a set is expired, you must still set the GRT job to start as an Overwrite.