cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending Media

oCN
Level 3

I just want to make sure I have the correct handle on Appending media.  Here is the situation:

I want to have 2 weeks worth of backups at a time, and then the 3rd week would overwrite the first week...and so on.  There will be 2 full backups each week paired with incremental backups.  I believe I need 3 jobs and 3 media sets scheduled as follows:

MEDIA SETS

Ovr13d_App0h

Overwrite = 13 days

Append = 0 hours

Ovr13d_App3d

Overwrite = 13 days

Append = 3 days

Ovr13d_App2d

Overwrite = 13 days

Append = 2 days

FULL BACKUPS

Tue, Fri

Overwrite

media set Ovr13d_App0h

INCREMENTAL BACKUP 1

Sat, Sun, Mon

Append, Overwrite if no appendable media

media set Ovr13d_App3d

INCREMENTAL BACKUP 2

Wed, Thu

Append, Overwrite if no appendable media

media set Ovr13d_App2d

Would the above method be the ideal way to do this, or is there a better way? Because the only other thing I can think to do is create 2 media sets (Ovr13d_App2d and Ovr13d_App3d) and schedule 4 jobs (2 full jobs and 2 incremental jobs).  I'm not sure if that would have any advantage though...

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'd go with two jobs  FULL and INCR, and two media sets FULL & INCR

Set the OPP so that the will not expire until the associated INCR expire (for DR purposes)

if you run Fulls on WED and FRI, that would be 11 days (fri - tues)

for the INCR that would be  10 days

Make sure that from Tools\Options\Media Management yo have selected "Use overwriteable media in target media set before scratch media"

oCN
Level 3

Ok, I got a few questions.  My fulls are on Friday and Tuesday, starting this Friday.  What you are saying is my media sets will have no append period? and look like:

MEDIA SETS

Name: Ovr10d_App0h

OPP = 10 days

APP = 0 hours

Name: Ovr9d_App0h

OPP = 9 days

App = 0 hours

For my jobs, I should set them as "Overwrite" for both the Full and Inc?  This is going to be a backup to disk job (Forgot to mention that before).

oCN
Level 3
I should probably also mention, the job will take about 10-12 hours and will be running around 6pm (May make a difference) and it is B2D

oCN
Level 3
That is 10-12 hours for a full, and 2-4 for an Inc (Roughly)

oCN
Level 3

I believe my earlier attempt is now wrong.  I made an Excel sheet with 3 weeks across the top, and my jobs listed on the side (2 full, and 5 inc).  Using my 10-12hr estimate for full, 2-4hr estimate for inc, and based on starting the jobs at 6pm I started counting days based on when the job should end (ex: Full jobs end on the day after, and Inc end on the same day). 

My full Tue would need an Opp of 10 days, and the full Fri would need an Opp of 11 days (or there will be an overwritable tue and fri on that 3rd tues).  So to keep 1 media set for the full, the full media set will have an Opp of 11 days (I could even make this 13 days I suppose).

My Inc would need an Opp of 13 days (all 5 of them).

This will give me the 2 week retention I want before overwriting.  One the Third week, Tue overwrites the Tue from week 1.  Then Wed overwrites wed from week1.

If my logic is off base, I would appreciate any corrections.

Thanks