cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending Tape Problem

NOConnor
Level 3
I'm using BE9.1, I have my Incrimental backup running monday through thursday and a full backup on friday's. I have my append period set to 0 and Infinate and my Overwrite protection set to 5 days. right now everytime I insert a new tape I must erase it before it will append or overwrite to it. Monday through thursday appends great as long as I don't take out the tape but as soon as I do I must errase the tape in order to get it to append or overwrite.

So for example I'll do a full backup on friday and it works great. Monday I'll come in and change the tape which has incremental backups from previous weeks and on tueday when I check the status of the job it will be at 648Kb written. The job still looks like it's running but no more data is being written to the tape.

As soon as I erase the tape it works fine. please help!

Nic
21 REPLIES 21

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
When you insert the tape and run an inventory, what do you see under overwrite and append columns in your media set ?

Regards
A van der Boom

NOConnor
Level 3
I don't run an Inventory when I insert a new tape, could this be the reason why? Is there a way to Automate the inventory process everytime I put in a new tape?

Nic

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

Append Period is the period which allows the data to be appended. Set the append period and overwrite period as required.

Please refer to the following technotes:

- An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237374.htm

- The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192265.htm

We hope this will help.

NOConnor
Level 3
Thank you for taking time and giving me your suggestion however this did not answer my question or solve my problem. I am aware of how The Append and overwrite settings are interpreted by backup exec. I have my tapes into specific media sets. one media set is the Incrimental and the other is full backup. The overwrite and append periods are set according to my needs in this case it is set to Infinate append. My problem comes is the fact that when I take out a tape to do a restore, say from two weeks ago. When I put the current backup tape back in the drive, it does not append. it writes a few bytes then stops and basically runs untill I cancel or stop the service without writing anymore to the tape.

Could this be a possible problem with the Job Setup?

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello Connor,

As you're removing the tape from the drive to run a restore job, then issue may be that BE does not know which tape is in the drive at the time of backup.

Do you inventory the drive before running the backup. If not, suggest you to run the inventory job, and then fire the backup to the tape in the drive.

I hope this helps.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hello,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived.

Thanks.

NOConnor
Level 3
I have just read some new post and will try what is suggested, is there anyway to automatically run inventory before a backup job or once a tape is inserted?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for the update.

In Backup Exec there is no option to run the Inventory automatically once the tape is inserted.

You can do the Inventory manually after inserting the tape.

Regards,Message was edited by:
deepali

NOConnor
Level 3
I tried to run an Inventory on my full backup on friday and for some reason it put Overwrite protection and caused my backup's to fail. How can I avoid this?

Nic

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the latest update.

I would like to know if the inventory job was successful ?
Also, as mentioned by you that the backup job failed because of Overwrit Protection Period, kindly verify once again the Overwrite Protection Period and also mention the exact error.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

NOConnor
Level 3
The inventory Job was sucsessful, And the Job did not fail but ejected the tape and asked for a new one to be put in. Which effectivly makes the backup fail because it cannot be run when certain files are closed. The Overwrite Protection period is set to 5 days with infinate append.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did the job write anything at all to the tape? YOu may be filling it up.

Just for grins, after loading the tape, inventory and then drag the volume to the Scratch media set. This will remove OPP a possible problem

NOConnor
Level 3
Nothing was written to the tape. it simply said This tape is overwrite protected and asks me to insert another tape. I could try and move it to scratch media next time. That might work but will the tape remain with the Overwrite protection of it's current media set. I like the overwrite protection, Just not when it does unexpected things causing my backup to fail.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please ensure that the tape is not physically overwrite protected. Also you may modify the Overwrite protection period to match your needs.

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived

NOConnor
Level 3
There is no Physical Overwrite Protection enabled on the tape. And I have edited the Overwrite protection to meet my needs. It is set to be Overwrite protected for 1 week. and appendable infinatly.

With Overwrite protection: is it enabled as soon as the disc is ejected from the drive?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to if after modifying Overwrite Protection Period, still you are facing the same issue ??

I request you to refer once again to the technotes given to you earlier regarding Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period.

Regards

NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
overwrite protection is figued from the time that the last file of the last backupset is written to tape.

Your previous question about moving to scratch. That effectively removes OPP, but as soon as the first file is written to the tape, it becomes protected again.

Don't remember, what is your OPP set for? iI you want to keep tapes for 2 weeks, make the OPP 13 days rather than 14, since if the last job ends after midnight, it will be protected for 14 days from the next morning, not 14 days from the evening that it started.

NOConnor
Level 3
Thank you all for your contributions, However it's obvious that Veritas does not have the time to help over web, With there one sentance responses, and references to articals That provide only a small portion of information that I've already read about, and already checked up on. My problem has to do with overwrite protection. So it's become my conclusion that I'm wasting more time than is good by having it enabled. Disabling it will solve my problem so thats what I intend to do.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I went back and read your first post again.

You are running the full to one tape and Incr to another.

How long do you keep the Incr data? one week, or do you have two weeks of Incr data? or three?

if it is only one week, then you need to set OPP on the Incr media set to 2 days not 5, since OPP is calculated from the last backupset on the tape, (Thurs Nite/Fri Morning) not the first Mon nite/Tues morning)Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam