cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application and Database Agent required for Backup Server itself?

Tom80
Level 2

On most of my implementations i'd anyhow a SQL Server in place so that Agent was required but what about if i only have a File-Server with Backup Exec on it?

Backup Exec comes with SQL Express and if i want to backup the whole Server (to be able to make disaster recovery), do i need now the Application and Database Agent / License just for the SQL Express instance from Symantec Backup Exec itself or can this be in backup even without that agent / license?

thanks,
Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no need to backup SQL express instance which holds BE database.

Everyday BE runs a database maintenance and creates a backup of Backup Exec database.

The backup file (BEDB.bak) is stored in the Data folder of BE installation directory.

You may include Data and Catalogs folder in your daily backups.

So there is no need to buy Agent for App & DB license.

Refer to my blog on how to protect BE 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no need to backup SQL express instance which holds BE database.

Everyday BE runs a database maintenance and creates a backup of Backup Exec database.

The backup file (BEDB.bak) is stored in the Data folder of BE installation directory.

You may include Data and Catalogs folder in your daily backups.

So there is no need to buy Agent for App & DB license.

Refer to my blog on how to protect BE 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If I understand your first query correctly , you want to know if you would need additional agent license to protect a fileserver on which you have Backup exec installed, So the answer is that you just need Backup exec core license installed on the server and you can perform local backup of the server without any additional license. 

As suggested by AmolZerocool You dont need any agent for application and database.

Tom80
Level 2

Thanks for the blog - helps me a lot :)