cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Backup to Disk folders...

David_H_Levine
Level 3
Hi all...

Question - we are looking to upgrade our backup routines - currently backing up to tape, but we are looking to start backing up to disk instead. (Running BackupExec 12). We have a few TB of disk for this, but the question is - when that few TB of disk fills up, what are the options for archiving that data off to tape - thus freeing up the disk space for future backups... I have not found a clear answer to this anywhere...

Any ideas or is anyone have a solution in place for this?

Thanks so much!

D
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can use the provided template to set up B2D2T  which duplicates disk data to tape when the job finishes  Tha advantage of DUPLICATE over a standard backup is that you can restore directly from tape (for non-GRT restores anyway)

See the Admin Guide page 443

David_H_Levine
Level 3
Ok - are you referring to the duplicate existing backup sets feature? There are two options "Duplicateexisting backup sets" and "Duplicate backup sets following a job"... I don't see anything else about B2D2T specifically, so I wanted to be sure...

Thanks so much!

D

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
 I don't see anything else about B2D2T specifically, so I wanted to be sure...

B2D2T  is shorthand for Backup to Disk to Tape  (I've been haunting the BackupExec forum since v6.1, so some things I don't even think about anymor  :)  )

What you are looking for is the "Duplicate backup sets following a job" 

as soon as the disk backup job finishes, BackupExec starts a DUPLICATE of that data to tape