cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup slow after Symantec Endpoint Protection installation

Akira_Kato
Level 4
Hello,
We have a Win2003SBS server with Backup Exec 9.1 Rev.4691. We recently installed Symantec Endpoint Protection on it and backup time increased from 9 hours to 12 hours with no significant increase in data size. The server has 2GB of RAM. I have disabled scanning of files being backed up and excluded Veritas folder from being scanned but it did not help. Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks.
Akira
6 REPLIES 6

Nusantara
Level 2
Hello,

I experience exactly the same problem. Tried to solve it the same way. But the problem consists.

David

Nusantara
Level 2
Hello,
By removing tamper protection in the policy and a reïnstallation (no server reset nessesary): add or remove programs - change -  only install the antivirus part, remove all the other options (picture), the problem was solved.
However this is not the way I like to solve problems, it works.

Message Edited by Nusantara on 02-28-2008 08:32 AM

Tipple
Level 2
Hi Guys

Same problem here too. Backups working fine until we upgraded (if that's the correct word - lol), to Symantec Endpoint Protection MR1. Now the backup takes an extra 4 hours to complete processing the same amount of data....?

Same set up too. SBS2003 Premium. Backup Exec 9.1 rev 4691

We  initially installed SEP with just the Antivirus part as advised in the article  "Best practice for running SEP with Microsoft Windows 2003 SBS". So reinstalling the product without the suggested features isn't really going to help us. They aren't there to start with.
 Have tried disabling Tamper Protection without any improvement in backup times too.

The backup appears to finish ok, it just takes six hours instead of two.

Any other suggestions out there people?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Tipple
Level 2
Out of interest....
If we disable File System Auto- Protect during the backup we get great performance. Backup only takes two hours like before. But,.. not very safe!

We have disabled "Scan when a file is backed up" but that makes no speed improvement at all...?

Still no wiser...?

help1234
Not applicable

Has this issue been resolved? We are running Symantec Endpoint w/MR3 and Backup Exec v10d. Backups only took about 6 hours, now they cancel out because they go over our 10 hour limit. I have disabled Auto Protect on the server it gets stuck on (Exchange mailboxes) and we have no extras just the basic Antivirus. Anyone have afix for this aside from uninstalling Endpoint on this server?

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 This should be resolved by MR4 for SEP (Symantec Endpoint Protection). Let us know if you still see significant performance hits to backups even w/ MR4 applied.

Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Backup and Restore job rates are extremely slow with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) 11 is installed.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306552.htm