cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my run times within the norm? Could they be improved?

lawrence_daniel
Level 3

Hello,

I am running Backup Exec 12.5 on a Windows Server 2003 using a Quantum Superloader3 model L700.  I currently backup two network drives one sitting on a Windows 2003 server and the second drive located on a Windows 2008 server.

The Quantum device supports 16 LT4 type tapes.  I am running in Random Mode.  The device recognizes both the left and right magazines.  The BC Reader is set to Yes.  The firmware is V61.0.

Backup of Windows 2003 server data: 1.13 TB of data;   1,665 MB/Min during Backup;  2,603 MB/Min during Verify                                           Backup of Windows 2008 server data:  2.6TB of data;    2,284 MB/Min during Backup,  2,663 MB/Min during Verify     

Other backups of these two servers fall within the above MB/Min range.  It appears that the backup of 2003 data is slower than 2008 data while the verify function is about the same rate.

Is there anything I can do to increase my backup speeds?  I assume there are four elements in play here: The speed of my network; the speed of the the tape backup system; age of the backup server; and version of Backupexec

So how do my speeds compare with yours?  Also how important is running the Verify function after the Backup has run?  Is this necessary?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Larry, Backup Exec Newbie

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

In your environment, it sounds like your Win2003 backup speed is limited by the Win2003 server.  I assume you are using the same backup server and the same network, so that basically eliminates those as variables.  The Win2003 speed could be limited by the server itself, but it is more likely to be either the disk system or the disk contents are your biggest influence.  Small files backup slower than big files, due to the overhead of directory access, etc.

Your verify speeds are similar as that is basically limited by your tape drive speed.  The source server and the network are NOT used during the verification process.

IMHO, and everything I have read from Symantec, is that verify is a very important part of the process to ensure that your tapes are readable.

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try basic things like defraging your disks and making sure that your NIC's and network switches are set to run at the fastest possible speed.

You can also try to tune your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

If you do not verify, then there is no guarantee that you can read back the backup set when the time comes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

In your environment, it sounds like your Win2003 backup speed is limited by the Win2003 server.  I assume you are using the same backup server and the same network, so that basically eliminates those as variables.  The Win2003 speed could be limited by the server itself, but it is more likely to be either the disk system or the disk contents are your biggest influence.  Small files backup slower than big files, due to the overhead of directory access, etc.

Your verify speeds are similar as that is basically limited by your tape drive speed.  The source server and the network are NOT used during the verification process.

IMHO, and everything I have read from Symantec, is that verify is a very important part of the process to ensure that your tapes are readable.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try basic things like defraging your disks and making sure that your NIC's and network switches are set to run at the fastest possible speed.

You can also try to tune your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

If you do not verify, then there is no guarantee that you can read back the backup set when the time comes.

lawrence_daniel
Level 3

Larry and PKH,

Thank you for the suggestions.  The Verify function will stay.  For now I plan to combine the two servers I am currently backing up by moving the data from my W2K3 server to the newer W2K8 server.  I will then be backing up a single newer server while also decommissioning the older W2K3 which is an organizational goal in my office.

I don't have people to go to with my Backup Exec questions.  I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks again. 

Larry