cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign media set to media

mez
Level 2
Hello,

I'm new in this forum and I'm beginner in Backup Exec too.

I run against one problem with using media from media set when running a job:

1. I created three new media sets (say, MS1, MS2, MS3) with different overwrite protection period only.
2. I associated all available media (act. 8 pcs.) with new media sets (MS1 - 5, MS2 - 2, MS3 - 1).
3. I created new policy (copy of Media rotation policy with changed media sets of all templates (Daily - MS1, Weekly - MS2, Monthly - MS3)) and I created new jobs using this policy.
4. I run job meant to be monthly backup manually finally.

What happens?
I supposed this job will use media from media set MS3, but there was used media from media set MS2! Both media (the only from expected MS3 and the other from used MS2) was marked to be Blank and Overwritable.

So, is it property or error (most likely my error Smiley Sad )?

All what I need is to assign concrete media (one or more from concrete media set) with concrete job, e.g. Daily backup with media from media set MS 1 only, without some redeployment between media sets.

Thanks for your responses

Petr
2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If a tape belongs to one media set, for example MS1 and it's overwrite protection expires then a job run that is set to use MS2 it can pull tapes from the MS1 media set.  This can happen if no overwritable media is in the MS2 media set. 

Please review this technote on media management for a more detailed explanation:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

If you want your jobs to only use a specific set of tapes every time then you will need to partition the library then specify that partition in the jobs.  This way the job can only pull tapes from those specific areas of the library.

mez
Level 2
Thank you for your help, using partitions is working well. petr