cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job start after previous job completes?

Chris_Meehan
Level 2
Is it possible to schedule an append job to run as soon as a previously running job completes?
4 REPLIES 4

ewadmin
Level 4
If you have an Overwrite job and you want to immediately follow that with an Append job to the same tape, both jobs must use the same Media Set, otherwise the second job will grab a tape from a different set (or a new Scratch tape), rather than the tape from the previous job.  Limit this Media Set to only these two jobs, and create separate Sets for other jobs.

Set the Append level on this Media Set to a short duration - one day or less, but longer than it takes the previous job to complete.  This assures the append job does not go to an older tape in the Set. 

Then overlap the time window for the jobs.  For instance, if the first starts at 9:00 and takes a minimum of 30 minutes, set the second to start at 9:15.  Then you are sure it will immediately follow the first job.

Hope this helps

Chris_Meehan
Level 2
ewadmin -

Thank you for the reply. this is exactly what I had setup. I was wondering if there was a way to automate it such as in the job properties within scheduling there was an option to tell the job to run when another job completes, maybe selecting from a drop down list or something. Oh well, maybe I'll put it in the feature request forum!

Thanks again.

Chris

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can use policies to start  a previously defined job when a job finishes

Or do it the old fashioned way
Create both jobs
create a BEMCMD command line (JOB2.CMD) to run the second
enter the CMD file as a POST job in the first job

ewadmin
Level 4
Scheduling one job to follow another is only available in a backup policy, such as doing a backup to disk followed by a duplication of that backup set to tape.  BE doesn't support multiple Selection Lists in a single policy.  So you use policies to set up a daily, weekly, monthly schedule, with duplication jobs as needed, of a single Selection List.