cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticating problem

Aaron_McKinnon
Level 3
I've inherited a Veritas BackupExec 9.1 machine running DLO. The basic idea is that they have a handful of users/profiles to use for many, many machines. One workstation has decided to not log in from the client, saying something like:

is all ready connected to the media server as . As best I can tell neither of which are true, as I've recently rebuilt the machine. It feels like I need to remove the machine itself from some built in Veritas DB.

Any ideas?

-Aaron McKinnon
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

This issue occurs because the local user and the domain user are using the same account. When the user logs in to the desktop locally, and tries to connect to DLO server then the error occurs because there is already a domain user with that account. If the domain user account is deleted on the DLO server under Users in Administration Console then the local user may be able to login to the DLO user
The workaround is to login to the domain or use another account that has Administrative privileges to connect to the DLO server from the laptop.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Aaron_McKinnon
Level 3
The local user does NOT have an account on the Domain machine. The accounts created for each are unique and are local logins only (no remote user authentication or AD on the client machines - Workgroups only). Additionally, this is the only machine that I am aware of in the lab behaving this way.

The set up consists of 3 users on the Veritas BackupExec 9.1 server that vary in how/where they back up data. Each of the client machines then login and authenticate with a local user to the machine. The DLO Client is automatically launched and uses one of the 3 users (depending on client configuration).

Seeing as I supply username, domain, and password in the DLO Client is there a need to try something like machine\username or domain\username vs. simply supplying the username to the DLO Client?

Additionally, are there logs on the DLO Server that might help clarify this?

-Aaron

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- Please connect using domain\username and verify the results.
- You may put the DLO in debug mode.
To enable debug logging on the DLO client, use the following procedure:
1. Exit the DLO client, select File | Exit

2. Open regedt32 or regedit

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

3. Expand HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Components

4. Create a new key called DebugStream
5. Create a new key below DebugStream called DLOClient.exe. The (default) string value data should be 0xE0FFFFFE.

6. Create a new key below DebugStream called DLOClientu.exe. The (default) string value data should be 0xE0FFFFFE.

7. Create a new key below DebugStream called DLOConsoleu.exe. The (default) string value data should be 0xE0FFFFFE.

8. Start the client

Once the client fails or generates an error, gather the following logs and contact technical support:
a. DLOClient.log
b. All *.dmp files

Revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Aaron_McKinnon
Level 3
On the client machine all I have is:

HKLM\Software\VERITAS\DLO - no Components

-Aaron

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please go through the following Article:
How to enable debug logging on a Desktop/Laptop Option client
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272616

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.