cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication failure on restore to NW drive

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
I just created a new NW volume on an existing server. I want to transfer files from an old volume on the server to a new volume, so I set up a restore job with a redirect. The job fails with the message: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions." When I test the credentials in the job setup, it is successful. I have too-frequent authentication failures on this server, although sometimes the backups/restores or successful. Nothing is ever changed.
4 REPLIES 4

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
Just another data point: I successfully ran a backup-and-restore from the new volume, so it seems to have something to do with redirection.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

On what OS is backup exec installed? Is the Netware server a remote server? Are you trying to restore from one drive to another drive on the same server? What is the version of Netware? It seems the account passes the credential tests.
Also check the following:

- Ensure that you have added the entries of the backup exec server name and IP address to the hosts file on the Netware server and vice versa
- You are able to ping the server with name as well as IP address
- From the tab tools->options->NetWare SMS, ensure that there is an entry for the Netware server.

Hope this resolves the problem. If not, revert with details to the above questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Forrest_Smith
Level 3
The Backup Exec server is running on Windows XP. The environment of agents is a mixed bag of Windows, NW and Mac OS X boxes (there's a problem with backing up OS X as well).

The NW 6.5 server in question is already being backed up successfully to the XP tape host, so the configuration issues you raise are already addressed in terms of host files, SMS entries, etc.

I am able to backup and restore files from the "new" drive on the NW server. What I am unable to do is to redirect a restore job to the "new" drive that was backed up from an "old" drive on the same server.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Could you Update us on the issue, if you still need help?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.Message was edited by:
Amruta Bhide